FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flyertalk iPhone App Feedback (all versions)
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:30 pm
anabolism

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I've been waiting for a FT app for my iPod for years! I'm glad to see it.

However:

Originally Posted by travellers4fun
I've never seen an app with more ads.
I've never seen one with this number of ads! Really, it's way OTT.

Originally Posted by baliktad
Some basic functionality and information is important. Not all of it must be pinned to the screen constantly taking up valuable space that could be used for actual valuable content. It boggles my mind why so much space is wasted on a row of page numbers when the overwhelming use case is simply "get me to the latest unread post." Put next/previous page links at the top or bottom of the page if you must, but make them scroll away.
I absolutely agree.

Originally Posted by dstan
1) Home page - Delete the avatar and "Welcome, dstan" at the top - it's really a waste of real estate.

2) Home page - Also delete the avatars down the lefthand side. Few on FT use them, and while some other vB sites may have more users with them, they do not add useful information.

3) Home page - Can you add a setting so that users can select whether they want to see Newest, Top, or Subscribed as the default? I suspect that many members, like myself, read only certain forums within FT, and the FT-wide selections (Newest, Top) will not get as much use, but should be there for newbies and other members who do use them.

4) Subscribed - As I think was stated upthread, we need not only Subscribed Threads but also Subscribed Forums. This is huge (see 3 above).

5) Subscribed - The Subscribed Threads list looks incomplete for me - is it truncated? Can we have the complete list instead?

6) Definitely need to add the functionality to jump to the last unread post. That's the way most of the frequent readers, who are presumably the target audience for this app, use FT.

7) Menu button at the top - It's not intuitive that it takes you to the menu but also shows what menu item has been selected. Not sure I have a better solution, though.

8) Page numbers - You could cut down the amount of real estate this requires and perhaps merge into the bottom menu by just showing first, current, last, with left and right arrows.

9) Forums - Navigating once thru to a list of subforums is fine, but twice is too much (cf. NYC). Perhaps those second derivative subforums could all be listed together rather than requiring a second clickthru.
All excellent suggestions which I second.