FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Weather: Europe / UK Snow/Weather & AA Flights Dec 2010 (consolidated)
Old Dec 22, 2010, 3:39 pm
yabadoo

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
Originally Posted by Bonaturtle
had you put in for an upgrade prior? I am on waitlist right now for 2 biz seats, hoping they bump me up to open some coach seats for people stuck. I'm on AA87 LHR-ORD first thing tomorrow.

And when they op-up at the gate for international flights, do they let you know prior, or tell you as you are boarding?
When they op-up, or "cabin roll" as they AA's LHR staff call it, it's done at the gate. Usually, the system will automatically bump up ExecPlats, Plats etc., however, supervising gate agent has ability to override the system and allocate upgrades for example where a husband with wife and kids are travelling in Y and husband gets bumped up to J but wife and kids don't and the family do not want to be separated, then gate agent will manually select another passenger for upgrade after all other status holders have already been taken care of.
Nevertheless, ask what the situation is on teh flight when you check-in and if they will be looking to upgrade passengers given the current situation of trying to clear backlog. Rarely, when they know for sure they have to upgrade as most people have already been issued boarding passes, they will op-up you at check in. Nevertheless, you should also check when you get to the gate. They may already have your new printed BP waiting for you or if you can get into AC then check at the desk there.
I think you have good chance of getting bumped up.
There was a thread somewhere which explained the priority list of how op-up's happen at the gate, there is a system and method to it.

Keep us posted on how you fare.
I

Last edited by yabadoo; Dec 22, 2010 at 3:44 pm