View Single Post
Old Dec 5, 10, 3:42 pm
Jasper2009
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by braysu View Post
I am travelling to Rome for a cruise next May. Flying YOW to FCO returning via Barcelona (BCN) to YOW.

I booked 2 business class seats with Aeroplan points via Frankfurt ( one stop only) so I could sit in the AC pods. 2 tickets cost me 160,000 miles. Only problem is all legs are Business class except for one seat from YOW to FRA. I called aeroplan ( even though I check on-line constantly) to see what other options may be available to ensure we have the flatbed pods on the long haul flights. The aeroplan agent I got yesterday was very experience ( been there 25 years) & suggested I try to Lufthansa first class via Montreal. Claims first class on Lufthansia has flatbeds, gourmet chefs, limo service to plane from lounge, massages in lounge etc and well worth the extra points much better than Business class on AC.

So I would have to have 2 stops now instead of a stop each way, pay a $180 change fee + pay an extra 20,000 each person or 40,000 points.

Can anyone provide an opinion if First class with Luftansia is worth the extra Points or should I stick to my Business Class AC flights with only one stop and keep trying for a busines class seat to be released?

http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/First..._p=DE&blt_l=en

Thanks
You really got a great agent, he was right except for the massage: YouŽd have to fly via BKK in TG F to get a free massage, LHŽs massages are not free AFAIK

IMO the chances that another award seat in C on the YOW-FRA flight opens up arenŽt that great: only serviced by a 763, only one flight per day on this route and comparably high demand for revenue C tix (upgrading on this route can be harder than YYZ-FRA)

IŽd definitely go for the LH F option: While LH F hard product is somewhat outdated (but seats do turn into flat beds), the service and ground product are excellent.

YouŽll also save some fuel surcharges, as AP only charges fuel surcharges on AC metal.

Regarding Y/C/F my standpoint tends to be:

Y: avoid for long-haul flights, if at all possible
C: eliminates the hassle of C, you get some decent food, good service and a comfortable seat (flat bed on AC, mediocre lie-flat on LH)
F: usually excellent service and tasty food and decent wine/champagne, more privacy and a much better ground experience; a nice experience once in a while when travelling for leisure