FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Bonus for Referring New Members to MP" Thread [Merged] (Updated 2010)
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:53 am
mherdeg

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
A bonus for joining MP? Why on earth would you think your friend would get a mileage bonus for signing up? You're a 1K. Did you get one when you signed up?
Because there is currently an offer available: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2010-a-10.html

The "better" version of the offer (which I like a bunch of others in that thread received) gives the new member 1000 miles on joining, and 5000 miles on completing their first United or United Express operated flight.

The referer receives 1000 miles when their friend signs up, and 2000 miles when their friend flies on a United or United Express operated flight.

So there is an incentive both to join and to fly on UA, but I'm not aware of any Mileage Plus bonuses for flying on LH -- presumably a LH-only flyer would just get the 1000 miles and United would probably forget about the other 5000 (or they would mysteriously appear many years later as part of a promotion the member totally forgot existed). I don't know if LH Miles & More offers any kind of start-up bonus.