FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Two Men Enter Two Airports, One With A Rectal Bomb…” (blogpost))
Old Dec 2, 2010, 9:46 am
sefrischling

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
N965JV

BDOs work ... when properly trained. I have heard more than once that TSA BDO training is 'rushed', 'incomplete','lacking' and other less polite terms from those inside the TSA.

Some BDOs appear to do a good job at spotting those that just don't seem to fit in, no terrorists, generally those skipping bail, jumping parole or with warrants ... which however is not the TSA's tasking or jurisdiction.

I've spoken with someone who was "BDO" trained in the Army as an intelligence officer and his insights have been very interesting and paint a view of TSA BDO training that is less that flattering. Unfortunately he has asked me not to quote him directly in anything I write. If he ever changes his mind and allows me to quote him, I'd love to write about BDOs in more depth.

Each person I converse with, who are within TSA/DoD/DHS, that advocate for more BDOs I always ask about training. Every one of them says that TSA BDOs are better than nothing ... but they all agree they need more training. It was described to me in this way by someone in DHS "It's like having a fence, but leaving the door open in some ways."