FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 47,000 mile pre-christmas mileage run (report)
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:47 pm
colonius

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
The 47,000 mile pre-christmas mileage run (report)

Yep, it has been a bad year. Little travel, no DEQM. And just like eightblack, I am addicted to my 1K status - BAD United!

So what to do? I am currently 45,000 miles short with only one more European trip required this year. Not enough. First measure of choice from the West Coast to Europe: take a detour through HNL. The ticket HNL - Germany is not that much more expensive than from SEA. And SEA-HNL is a bargain at the moment, starting at about $320 roundtrip. Still not enough. Throw in a short hop to Australia, from HNL, of course - what else?

So here is my routing, some time in December, shortly before the Christmas madness starts:

Day 1:
SEA - DEN - HNL

Overnight at HNL and early morning flight next day.

Day 2:

HNL - LAX - SFO - SYD - MEL

No chance of an upgrade to Australia, since the fare class is too low. Same day turn-around in MEL... continuing with day 4 due to international date line

Day 4:
MEL - SYD - SFO - LAX - HNL - SFO

This time, the date line helps to cram more flying into one (LONG) day! Again, no chance of an upgrade on the international segment (K class). Continuing on day 5 without a stop in SFO

Day 5:
SFO - ORD - MUC

This time, W class and everything waitlisted. Almost there now... just a short hop the next day!

Day 6:
MUC - CGN

Time to sleep. Time to do some business. Time to do some christmas shopping - I also have a wife and two kids. The wife shares the mileage addiction and the kids pout - they currently don't have any status, which they resent a bit. Understandable, considering that my son made AA Platinum for the first time at the ripe age of less than a year and has been 1P in the past... oh well, the gifts will get a bit more pricey, I fear.

Day 10:
CGN - MUC - FRA - SFO - HNL - SFO

Time to go back home, taking the scenic route, of course! Again, waitlisted for FRA-SFO (but should have a chance, Q fare).

Day 11:
SFO - SEA

Finally done. Sleep again, drive home.

Is it worth it? I hope. A lot will depend on the future of UniCon and the further "enhancements" to come.

The statistics:

Total EQM: 47,786
Total RDM: 95,572

Total cost: $ 2,977 all-in (6.2 cents per eqm)

Excess cost over the required trip to Europe: about $1,800

The potential for mayhem and mis-connects: priceless!

And for the way back from Germany, I will even have some check baggage for United to destroy or misconnect...

Am I nuts? Certainly. Warm nuts, in little ceramic bowls...