FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - is this Kosher...?
View Single Post
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:58 am
lin821

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Still waiting for an answer w/r/t referral links in signatures & posts...

Originally Posted by lin821
Besides, per FT rules, all referral bonuses belong to SPAM Forum. I don't think referral links should travel with any FTer's signature.

If FT does have a clearly stated policy to forbid referral links in signatures, I am sure it'll stop those who make it a habit to plug in personal referral links in their signature links. It'll also make it easier for our mod team to do their job.
Randy, sorry to bother you again but I don't think I ever get any clear answer from you and there is still inconsistency in MODs reinforcing referrals in signatures and posts (i.e. some allow and some don't). Correct me if I am wrong, the wording of current signature policy doesn't cover referrals, as far as I can tell.

First things first. I believe forum TOS shouldn't contradict with each other. Since conga and referrals are supposed to appear in SPAM Forum, this forum sticky specifies how to do conga in SPAM Forum:
Referral bonuses and conga lines

If you wish to start a new "conga" referral thread you MUST identify it as a "conga" and you MUST post a unique referral link. Please, when posting to a conga thread, use the person who posted his/her link last. Pure referrals ("You and I will each earn $xx if I refer you to this offer") are not allowed.
There are quite a few conga threads in SPAM Forum and some are more active than others. Here are 3 conga examples:

1. Big Crumbs Conga:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m...ller-fees.html

2. Mr. Rebates Conga:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m...-up-bonus.html

3. Cashbaq Conga:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m...baq-conga.html

Occasionally, there are few FTers who'd cut in line and post their referral links without following the above guideline. SPAM MOD and forum frequent have no problem working together to get things back to order and remove such posts/links. (Thanks to SPAM MODs! )

What you may not be aware is there are some FTers who either have referral links for said websites in their signatures, or post their referral links in posts outside SPAM Forum. This type of posting behavior, without discussing the inconsistency of moderation in taking out (or not) this type of posts, essentially is breaking the existing congalines in SPAM Forum. What bothers me most is the disrespect of TOS. I am not happy with condoning such behavior outside SPAM Forum either. Such referral links are for one's personal gain and nothing greater.

If such inconsistency and confusion lies in forum guidelines, please have those guidelines updated. If the wording, or lack of, in current signature policy is causing confusion about personal referral links, please consider to spell them out, so FTers and MODs know better what to post or edit. FWIW, I did RBP those "problem" posts/signatures to different forum MODs but some remain untouched. You can check out my RBP log to verify.

The bottom line is I don't think mixed signals are doing any good for FTers or MODs. Thanks for your time reviewing this issues.