FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Involuntary Shift from First to Coach
View Single Post
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:49 pm
HDK

Programs: AS MVPG 1MM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, TR Seven Stars, Mlife Noir, TSA Pre
Intersting topic...

I had a similar but slightly different event earlier this year...

I had booked RT FC tickets for my GF and myself from ANC to PSC, I used miles for her FC seat and I purchased a "confirmed" (the gold diamond thingy) for myself. When we were boarding @ SEA for our return to ANC I was stopped by the boarding agent and informed that due to an equipment change (800 to 700) I was being moved back to coach. The boarding agent kept refering to my fare as being a complimentary upgrade. I tried to explain that I had in fact purchased a confirmed FC seat and asked him how they determined which four had to move back. He hemmed and hawed and never did give me a clear understanding of the rules. In any event, I was moved back to coach and my GF (on a mileage ticket) kept her FC seat.

I did contact AS Gold customer service and was initally put off by the CSA's somewhat aloof attitude regarding my bump. The fact that I had paid for a confirmed FC seat didn't seem to register.

Again, the explanation of who stays and who moves was still a bit fuzzy. I didn't press too hard and no, I didn't start a blog titled "ALASKAAIRLINESHATESEVERYONE". In any event the CSA did make things right by placing a $150 customer care e-cert in each of our mileage accounts.

I also brought this up at the MVPG breakfast last month here in Anchorage. RR confirmed the fact that even "confirmed" FC seats are considered complimentary. That being said, he really didn't clarify how bumps to coach due to equipment changes are determined. He did suggest that at a minimum, AS would refund the difference in fare basis.

I never did press for a refund of the differential but the $150 each seemed to be fair compensation...