FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The end of "bonus" MQM during IROPS/VDB/SDC
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:26 am
javabytes
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by GBadger
Correct, except that deep in the system there are apparently mechanisms in place that will prevent you from even getting onto the upgrade list in certain situations, based on your original fare class.

I do agree that rebookings into F/J will bump others out of upgrades, but generally, I've found that this is only done when warranted (in case of VDB or if already booked into F using miles/SWU (but not comp. upgrades)).
Last month, I was flying a one-stopper. Medallion upgrades cleared on both segments. My first flight was delayed but I had a long layover and could easily make the connection. I was rebooked anyway, so I called in to get my original itinerary restored. After they did that, I noticed my ticket said "involuntary reroute" and I could rebook onto any flight that day, and directly into F. So I did change onto a different flight for more miles and a meal in F, jumping what I'm sure was a long line of elites on a popular route at a major hub.

I think you definitely should be on the upgrade list for your new flight, no matter what the circumstances. If I SDC, I should still be entitled to the upgrade if it is available. I agree that the original fare class should be preserved for purposes of determining the upgrade (at least for SDC - I'm okay with VDB/IROPS having a higher priority), but in no circumstances should someone be left off the list altogether.