FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth paying a higher fare for Delta MQMS and is Gold vs Silver worth it?
Old Oct 10, 2010, 2:30 pm
gaucho25

Is it worth paying a higher fare for Delta MQMS and is Gold vs Silver worth it?

Hi everyone-

I am new to the forum, but have discovered a great deal of useful information here. I have a question regarding opinions if paying higher fares for more MQMS is worth it. I have had Silver status the past two years. However, now that Delta has downgraded Silver, I am curious as to if the upgrade to Gold is worth it. I almost always fly Delta.
I have about 28,500 miles now. I am looking to buy a Delta flight from Sao Paulo to NY and from NYC to Chicago this week. The Delta flight from Sao Paulo is about 250 dollars more expensive than the flight on TAM. I have a US Airways account (which TAM is apart of Star Alliance) but rarely use it. Is it worth paying more for Delta for the 9500 miles from the rountrip flight? Same for Chicago flight. Other airlines have slightly better times and prices, but not as dramatic as the Delta vs Tam Flight.
If I did all these, I could make it to almost 40,000 miles by mid-December and try for a mileage run or a Delta Amex. Is it worth it or would you just go with whatever flight is cheapest? Opinions appreciated! Thanks!