Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is it worth paying a higher fare for Delta MQMS and is Gold vs Silver worth it?

Old Oct 10, 2010, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone-

I am new to the forum, but have discovered a great deal of useful information here. I have a question regarding opinions if paying higher fares for more MQMS is worth it. I have had Silver status the past two years. However, now that Delta has downgraded Silver, I am curious as to if the upgrade to Gold is worth it. I almost always fly Delta.
I have about 28,500 miles now. I am looking to buy a Delta flight from Sao Paulo to NY and from NYC to Chicago this week. The Delta flight from Sao Paulo is about 250 dollars more expensive than the flight on TAM. I have a US Airways account (which TAM is apart of Star Alliance) but rarely use it. Is it worth paying more for Delta for the 9500 miles from the rountrip flight? Same for Chicago flight. Other airlines have slightly better times and prices, but not as dramatic as the Delta vs Tam Flight.
If I did all these, I could make it to almost 40,000 miles by mid-December and try for a mileage run or a Delta Amex. Is it worth it or would you just go with whatever flight is cheapest? Opinions appreciated! Thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2010, 3:42 pm

My gut says that if the extra $250 would make you Gold on that flight, it would be worth it.

If you would still need to do a 10k mileage in addition to it, it's not worth it.

What do you expect your travel habits to be like next year?
Old Oct 10, 2010, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply! My travel habits will probably be similar with some Latin American flights thrown in. If I did the more expensive flight this year, I would still need another 10k to make Gold, but might be doing another flight in late December that would leave me needing another 5k. There is a possibility I could get the credit card as well. But is Gold really worth it or that just alot of running around? I usually don't check bags, but sometimes have long flights or have to fly standby. Upgrades are always nice too But seem to be happening less and less.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gaucho25
But is Gold really worth it or that just alot of running around? I usually don't check bags, but sometimes have long flights or have to fly standby. Upgrades are always nice too But seem to be happening less and less.
Welcome to Flyertalk, gaucho25! ^

IMO the difference between Silver and Gold is

Huge!

Here's the link to show you the extra benefits.....

https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about...nce/index.jsp?

You need to decide whether or not you fly enough to take advantage of these extra benefits.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
It's better to be GM than FO.

It's better to be PM than GM.

IT'S BEST TO BE DM !!!

(that is what I am trying for this year, let's see!)
Old Oct 10, 2010, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! Yeah it does seem like there are more perks to Gold. But have people actually noticed more of a difference .e. in terms of service and upgrades. Also I ws confused as the unlimited rollover...does this mean that if I just make it to 40 or 45,000 this year that I can roll over those extra miles and try the next year and those MQMS will count? Thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2010, 4:49 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by gaucho25
Thanks! Yeah it does seem like there are more perks to Gold. But have people actually noticed more of a difference .e. in terms of service and upgrades. Also I ws confused as the unlimited rollover...does this mean that if I just make it to 40 or 45,000 this year that I can roll over those extra miles and try the next year and those MQMS will count? Thanks!
In terms of rollover, once you reach silver via 25,000 MQM, then any excess MQM above whatever level you finish this year with will be rolled over. So if you finish with 45,000 MQM, you will have achieved Silver plus roll over 20,000 MQM for next year. If you instead finish with 52,000 MQM, you will have achieved gold and roll over only 2,000 MQM into the next year.

The choice is entirely based on which benefits you find most important and what your usage is likely to be the next few years. I've personally maintained Silver on segments with mostly intra-Midwest business and occasional holiday travel. Thanks to a few longer trips this year, I'm over 45,000 MQM for Silver and would be in a position to do a quick mileage run for Gold. However, given an anticipated decrease in travel next year and my preference of benefits, I'm choosing to hold short so that I can roll over 20,000 MQM and ensure Silver again in 2012 rather than reaching Gold for 2011 and probably failing to be elite at all in 2012.

I find upgrades pretty common as a Silver flying out of STL - especially as the number of FC seats in STL has really grown with Delta's recent focus. This is especially true if I am careful about choosing my routes and travel times. As a result, I don't think the jump up to Gold would significantly impact my upgrade percentage. You would need to analyze your particular travel routes to see whether or not this is true for you.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Yes GM is better than FO but remember that if you really don't fly enough to get to Gold without a bump in fare class you may not fly enough to really justify the extra $$ for the perks. Perks are great if you are using them dozens or even hundreds of times a year. If you are only going to fly 10 times it may not be worth it.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:46 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Yes GM is better than FO but remember that if you really don't fly enough to get to Gold without a bump in fare class you may not fly enough to really justify the extra $$ for the perks. Perks are great if you are using them dozens or even hundreds of times a year. If you are only going to fly 10 times it may not be worth it.
Agreed. The only diff is if you KNOW you will be significantly flying the next year. For instance, last year I was short in Dec and upped the fare class on a couple trips to make Silver. This year, I easily made Silver and am less than 100 miles from Gold on ALL BIS miles.

It also depends on your market. Out of SFO/SJC, it is not competitive as a Silver. Sometimes the list is 25-30 deep for upgrades. If your stats are decent as a Silver, you might just want to rollover more miles.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:01 am

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
I say GO FOR GOLD. As a few mentioned before, the difference between GM and FO is huge!

You also mentioned getting a credit card--there are several sign up offers that allow you to get 10k MQMs with the Platinum Delta American Express Card.

In addition to having Sky Priority and a better chance of upgrades as GM, I think the 100% mileage bonus vs. the 25% FO mileage bonus well help offset any doubts of paying a bit extra for tickets, or getting a credit card to ensure Gold.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:07 am

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
Another benefit of GM status over FO is the priority security lane at many airports. I find it a huge time saver at the Delta terminal at LGA and a modest improvement at JFK T2 (despite my gates invariably being at the point in T3 farthest from). It won't change things much at the Marine Terminal where the LGA-ORD shuttle flies, but that terminal is easy and as GM you have an excellent chance of an upgrade on most shuttle flights.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion
can someone please show me how the bonus MQM calculations work?

for ex, if i am a FO, I receive 25% bonus for MQMs.

so if i fly 5000 miles for one-way, is it calculated: 5000(.25) = 1250 bonus MQMs. so is it 5000+1250? or am i doing something wrong here?

2. What if i had Gold status. that's 100% bonus for MQMs.

so 5000*1 = 5000. So it's basically doubling my miles? 5000+5000 ?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: PC Plat. Ambassador, DL PM
Originally Posted by SilverSpy57

so if i fly 5000 miles for one-way, is it calculated: 5000(.25) = 1250 bonus MQMs. so is it 5000+1250? or am i doing something wrong here?

The bonus you are referring to is for banked miles, not Qualifying miles. Your calculation is mostly correct though.

Fly 5,000 as silver you'd get 5000 mqm and 6,250 banked miles (5,000 flown + bonus)

As gold you'd get 5,000 mqm and 10,000 banked miles (5,000 flown + bonus)
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Plat, Avis PP
The 25% bonus you get for FO and the 100% for other elite status are all normal miles not MQMs - in other words those miles don't count towards your status. you get bonus MQMs if you travel in Y, B, M or on Business or First Class fares.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:39 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by SilverSpy57

As canndlewic stated you will get a 100% bonus of SkyMiles for all paid flights as GM.

Remember medallions get no automatic bonus of MQMs for flights. MQMs can be boosted by purchasing a higher-fare coach ticket, like Y, or a FC/BE ticket like J, I, or A. But everyone gets the MQM boost for higher fares. It has nothing to do with medallion status.

As others have pointed out a 100% bonus on SkyMiles vs a 25% bonus is a major factor in deciding if you should spend a little extra to get to GM. But of course you need to predict how much you will actually be flying on paid itins once you reach GM. Status holds very little for one who doesn't actually fly while holding that status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.