FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Jet airways strict about baggage weight?
View Single Post
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:53 am
dgxoxo

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
I am well aware of the reasons and dont disagree with you..
but what i mean is even when travelling from india to someplace, there are airlines which do give a lil flexibility and dont treat or demean u for 2-3 kgs .. SQ, TG, EK are one of the better ones which I base on my own and experiences from my colleagues...
The problem is not with charging but with the way it is all communicated and done.. and the airline can only gain more loyalty by giving 2-3 kgs grace..( am not asking 10kgs grace pls note)..
I understand that the problem can be with communication, and if treated poorly, then one should contact management and have it redressed. But if its a matter of policy, then vote with your wallet and move to SQ, TG and EK. From a policy stand point, however, if LH allowed each pax to have an extra 2 - 3 kilograms, and then it is found that the plane is 500 kilograms over the load, then I would be super annoyed if my luggage was randomly selected to be left behind in India. (This has happened to me before on US domestic flights, which means I have had to purchase toiletries and clothes at my destination and charged it to the carrier, which is an immense inconvenience to me). Policies exist for safety reasons, and once again, I have no problems with such policies being STRICTLY enforced. Savvy flyers should know better. Occasional flyers have a duty to be aware of rules and regulations - especially when luggage restrictions are readily available on all airline webpages, and are printed on tickets for people that still get old-school paper tickets.

Another thing - as for treatment, put yourself in the shoes of a check-in agent. More than likely, they have been berated and demeaned by a passenger very recently about this same issue, resulting in a callous and intolerant attitude about people trying to break the rules.

At a recent gathering, someone was complaining about luggage restrictions and how a certAAin AAirline tried to chAArge them $450 for extrAA luggAAge chAArges. "Aunty, have you heard of Fedex?" shut her up...