FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dollar running credit checks for thrifty rentals on debit cards-info wanted
Old Sep 17, 2010, 4:32 pm
FlyingHoustonian

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Elola
From http://www.dollar.com/AboutUs/GeneralPolicies.aspx

G. Debit Card Usage: If the customer presents a debit card at the beginning of rental to qualify to rent, we will perform a debit card check and credit inquiry screening through Equifax Credit Information Services, Inc. This type of inquiry will screen out customers who present a greater driving risk to us, using a standard set of criteria. The credit inquiry is posted on the customer's credit report and may have an effect on the customer's credit evaluation. In the event that a customer's debit card check and credit inquiry fail to meet our debit card criteria, the customer will not be allowed to rent unless they provide a major credit card in their own name. Our debit card policy complies with all applicable U.S. federal and state laws. Debit cards are accepted for payment at the end of rental without a credit inquiry. Debit cards may not be accepted in Canada except for payment at the end of rental. Since credit requirements vary by location, please refer to the Local Policies for specific information on the acceptance and usage of debit cards where you intend to rent a DOLLAR vehicle.

From http://www.thrifty.com/AboutUs/conte...lPolicies.aspx

G. Debit Card Usage: If the customer presents a debit card at the beginning of rental to qualify to rent, we will perform a debit card check and credit inquiry screening through Equifax Credit Information Services, Inc. This type of inquiry will screen out customers who present a greater driving risk to us, using a standard set of criteria. The credit inquiry is posted on the customer's credit report and may have an effect on the customer's credit evaluation. In the event that a customer's debit card check and credit inquiry fail to meet our debit card criteria, the customer will not be allowed to rent unless they provide a major credit card in their own name. Our debit card policy complies with all U.S. federal and state laws. Debit cards are accepted for payment at the end of rental without a credit inquiry . Debit cards may not be accepted in Canada. Since the credit requirements vary by THRIFTY location, please refer to the location's Terms & Conditions for specific information on the acceptance and usage of debit cards where you intend to rent a THRIFTY vehicle.

The all caps treatment of the company names is verbatim from the Dollar and Thrifty website, it's the only difference between the "two" policies. I could continue this for each of the major companies, requiring an Equifax check to qualify a customer to rent using a debit card is SOP. Sending your employees to other companies won't have any effect, they'll face the same policy anywhere.

Seeing as how Dollar and Thrifty are the same company and most likely use the same POS software I would guess that Dollar is just the default assignment Equifax gives to an inquiry made at either counter.
Normally I send my employees and consultants out with a credit card linked to me, and I of course use credit myself. Anyway, I am interested in disclosure at the time of renting, as I can find no document give to me or signed by me stating that fact. This is what I want to see.
Thanks for those links though.

Ciao,
FH