Dollar running credit checks for thrifty rentals on debit cards-info wanted

 
Old Sep 15, 10, 11:27 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
Posts: 3,182
Dollar running credit checks for thrifty rentals on debit cards-info wanted

Hello,

At ELP last weekend I rented from Thrifty for one day and promptly Tuesday morning a hard credit hit shows up on equifax (I have monitoring system) from Dollar. Upon calling I was told it was because I paid with a debit card.

Ok, bad on me as I wasn't really paying attention and I did give a debit card instead of a credit card (they are coloured similarly) and I know most car rentals hold more on a debit than credit card.

Well according to the dollar phone rep I called they run credit hits on anyone using a debit card and if you are not at least at 680 they will not rent to you? (I am over 680 and did of course rent the car). I was told "it was explained to me" but it wasn't, and I was told it was on the rental jacket. I cannot find mention of the credit check on the rental jacket. While the single hit will stay for 2 years, it should not affect my credit in a bad way, it is just the fact they did it without my tacit approval that bugs me. I want to warn my employees and send them to other companies if needed due to this policy.

Anyway, rant over but could someone please direct me to where I can find a copy of that policy?

I did search but couldn't find anything (though search has failed me before here). Any help would be appreciated.

Ciao,
FH
FlyingHoustonian is offline  
Old Sep 16, 10, 7:53 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: UA Premier Silver, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, DL Silver Medallion
Posts: 251
From http://www.dollar.com/AboutUs/GeneralPolicies.aspx

G. Debit Card Usage: If the customer presents a debit card at the beginning of rental to qualify to rent, we will perform a debit card check and credit inquiry screening through Equifax Credit Information Services, Inc. This type of inquiry will screen out customers who present a greater driving risk to us, using a standard set of criteria. The credit inquiry is posted on the customer's credit report and may have an effect on the customer's credit evaluation. In the event that a customer's debit card check and credit inquiry fail to meet our debit card criteria, the customer will not be allowed to rent unless they provide a major credit card in their own name. Our debit card policy complies with all applicable U.S. federal and state laws. Debit cards are accepted for payment at the end of rental without a credit inquiry. Debit cards may not be accepted in Canada except for payment at the end of rental. Since credit requirements vary by location, please refer to the Local Policies for specific information on the acceptance and usage of debit cards where you intend to rent a DOLLAR vehicle.

From http://www.thrifty.com/AboutUs/conte...lPolicies.aspx

G. Debit Card Usage: If the customer presents a debit card at the beginning of rental to qualify to rent, we will perform a debit card check and credit inquiry screening through Equifax Credit Information Services, Inc. This type of inquiry will screen out customers who present a greater driving risk to us, using a standard set of criteria. The credit inquiry is posted on the customer's credit report and may have an effect on the customer's credit evaluation. In the event that a customer's debit card check and credit inquiry fail to meet our debit card criteria, the customer will not be allowed to rent unless they provide a major credit card in their own name. Our debit card policy complies with all U.S. federal and state laws. Debit cards are accepted for payment at the end of rental without a credit inquiry . Debit cards may not be accepted in Canada. Since the credit requirements vary by THRIFTY location, please refer to the location's Terms & Conditions for specific information on the acceptance and usage of debit cards where you intend to rent a THRIFTY vehicle.

The all caps treatment of the company names is verbatim from the Dollar and Thrifty website, it's the only difference between the "two" policies. I could continue this for each of the major companies, requiring an Equifax check to qualify a customer to rent using a debit card is SOP. Sending your employees to other companies won't have any effect, they'll face the same policy anywhere.

Seeing as how Dollar and Thrifty are the same company and most likely use the same POS software I would guess that Dollar is just the default assignment Equifax gives to an inquiry made at either counter.
Elola is offline  
Old Sep 17, 10, 4:32 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
Posts: 3,182
Originally Posted by Elola View Post
From http://www.dollar.com/AboutUs/GeneralPolicies.aspx

G. Debit Card Usage: If the customer presents a debit card at the beginning of rental to qualify to rent, we will perform a debit card check and credit inquiry screening through Equifax Credit Information Services, Inc. This type of inquiry will screen out customers who present a greater driving risk to us, using a standard set of criteria. The credit inquiry is posted on the customer's credit report and may have an effect on the customer's credit evaluation. In the event that a customer's debit card check and credit inquiry fail to meet our debit card criteria, the customer will not be allowed to rent unless they provide a major credit card in their own name. Our debit card policy complies with all applicable U.S. federal and state laws. Debit cards are accepted for payment at the end of rental without a credit inquiry. Debit cards may not be accepted in Canada except for payment at the end of rental. Since credit requirements vary by location, please refer to the Local Policies for specific information on the acceptance and usage of debit cards where you intend to rent a DOLLAR vehicle.

From http://www.thrifty.com/AboutUs/conte...lPolicies.aspx

G. Debit Card Usage: If the customer presents a debit card at the beginning of rental to qualify to rent, we will perform a debit card check and credit inquiry screening through Equifax Credit Information Services, Inc. This type of inquiry will screen out customers who present a greater driving risk to us, using a standard set of criteria. The credit inquiry is posted on the customer's credit report and may have an effect on the customer's credit evaluation. In the event that a customer's debit card check and credit inquiry fail to meet our debit card criteria, the customer will not be allowed to rent unless they provide a major credit card in their own name. Our debit card policy complies with all U.S. federal and state laws. Debit cards are accepted for payment at the end of rental without a credit inquiry . Debit cards may not be accepted in Canada. Since the credit requirements vary by THRIFTY location, please refer to the location's Terms & Conditions for specific information on the acceptance and usage of debit cards where you intend to rent a THRIFTY vehicle.

The all caps treatment of the company names is verbatim from the Dollar and Thrifty website, it's the only difference between the "two" policies. I could continue this for each of the major companies, requiring an Equifax check to qualify a customer to rent using a debit card is SOP. Sending your employees to other companies won't have any effect, they'll face the same policy anywhere.

Seeing as how Dollar and Thrifty are the same company and most likely use the same POS software I would guess that Dollar is just the default assignment Equifax gives to an inquiry made at either counter.
Normally I send my employees and consultants out with a credit card linked to me, and I of course use credit myself. Anyway, I am interested in disclosure at the time of renting, as I can find no document give to me or signed by me stating that fact. This is what I want to see.
Thanks for those links though.

Ciao,
FH
FlyingHoustonian is offline  
Old Sep 17, 10, 6:38 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Programs: *A Gold
Posts: 123
When you booked the car, the following info was provided under 'terms and conditions':
"Debit cards: Customers using debit cards to qualify to rent at the beginning of the rental will be subject to a debit card screening, which may impact the customers credit evaluation. "

Loud and clear. I don't think there is real substance in your complaint here.

S.

Last edited by scandi777; Sep 17, 10 at 7:35 pm
scandi777 is offline  
Old Sep 20, 10, 9:36 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Posts: 8,880
This is lousy. You rent a car and they ding your credit score.

Another reason to NOT use a Debit Card.
NoStressHere is offline  
Old Sep 21, 10, 4:34 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
Posts: 3,182
Originally Posted by scandi777 View Post
When you booked the car, the following info was provided under 'terms and conditions':
"Debit cards: Customers using debit cards to qualify to rent at the beginning of the rental will be subject to a debit card screening, which may impact the customers credit evaluation. "

Loud and clear. I don't think there is real substance in your complaint here.

S.
I have a question. I retired at 33, and do some "consulaing" for people just to fill my time-of which I did in El Paso, Texas last week. Money is certainly not a concern, nor is my personal credit which is around 900 in the USA, and not a factor here in Europe.
I'm basically a rich guy with free time, and I'm an a$$#0!e and plan to pursue something here; I want to address something with Thrifty/Dollar. I have all documents presented to me and none seem to note something about this check. I have the booking information from my executive assistant and nothing there mentions debt either. I simple want someone to show me where it is posted at El Paso, which is what the phone rep said was the case.
If you cannot do that, why respond?

I'm the kind of ... that doesn't let things slide.

Ciao,
FH

Last edited by gleff; Sep 24, 10 at 4:50 am Reason: removed personal attack
FlyingHoustonian is offline  
Old Sep 23, 10, 2:39 pm
  #7  
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SGF
Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Posts: 22,880
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian View Post
I have the booking information from my executive assistant and nothing there mentions debt either.
Then that is the fault of your executive assistant. Your executive assistant would have access to the terms and conditions of the booking from whichever method she booked it. If she booked via a third-party travel agency, then she could have clicked to view the terms and conditions on the final booking page. If she booked it herself over a dedicated GDS terminal, she could have typed a command to view and print the terms and conditions. If she booked it directly at thrifty.com, not only could she have clicked to expand the terms and conditions on the first page after inputting the city and dates, it would have been printed out directly on the reservation confirmation page.

The fault is with your executive assistant not using the tools she has at her fingertips, not with Thrifty for not providing them.

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian View Post
nor is my personal credit which is around 900 in the USA
Interesting, given that the maximum is 850.
jackal is offline  
Old Sep 23, 10, 4:46 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
Posts: 3,182
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
Then that is the fault of your executive assistant. Your executive assistant would have access to the terms and conditions of the booking from whichever method she booked it. If she booked via a third-party travel agency, then she could have clicked to view the terms and conditions on the final booking page. If she booked it herself over a dedicated GDS terminal, she could have typed a command to view and print the terms and conditions. If she booked it directly at thrifty.com, not only could she have clicked to expand the terms and conditions on the first page after inputting the city and dates, it would have been printed out directly on the reservation confirmation page.
It was booked over the phone, and I still have nothing from El Paso noting the policy, which was what was directly stated to me over the phone.

The fault is with your executive assistant not using the tools she has at her fingertips, not with Thrifty for not providing them.
Reading seems to be a problem here. Who noted "fault". I was told something by an agent of said company- I still have no proof a "sign" exists in El Paso, and the agent never mentioned anything. A reg. letter went out to them today so I shall see what happens. As happens on this normally valuable board sometimes, we can't find an answer.


Interesting, given that the maximum is 850.
Negative, you are refering to an old FICO score, which is different from a complete risk credit score, at least in the banking and finance industry I was in. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. FICO comes from 3 agencies, normal credit is based off of at least 9, sometimes more. Some go to 900, otherse 990.

Ciao,
FH
FlyingHoustonian is offline  
Old Sep 24, 10, 4:52 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DCA
Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Posts: 22,219
I've just cleaned up or deleted a handful of posts.

The topic is hard credit pulls from Thrifty when renting with a debit card. That topic needs to be discussed without getting personal or making disparaging or snarky references to individuals posting in the thread. Or else posting privileges on Flyertalk will need to be revisited.

Regards,
Gary
aka gleff
Senior moderator
gleff is offline  
Old Sep 24, 10, 7:07 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: USA
Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
Posts: 1,650
. . . While the single hit will stay for 2 years, it should not affect my credit in a bad way, it is just the fact they did it without my tacit approval that bugs me. I want to warn my employees and send them to other companies if needed due to this policy . . .
Your Dollar experience is informative for any traveler and especially those who use debit cards. But I do not see corporate malfeasance on Dollar's part or the fault of a secretary or travel booker as some suggest. I myself have never thoroughly read the Dollar fine print, but as I can now see, it is indeed instructive that we all maybe take the time to read our contracts thoroughly if not at the counter, then at the hotel or in the airport lounge when we have time on our hands. As to tacit approval . . . the world is bigger than any of us as we expect immediate results/gratification for ourselves but extend impatience/indignance when others do the same to us ( not that I do not agree with privacy/consent limitations which IMO are moot in this instance ).

A single credit check does not dink one's overall credit standing -- banks and agencies who regularly run credit checks understand the process and they can divine the context of an entry when evaluating one's credit worthiness. We've all got unsolicited checks on our records as a bank seeks folks to solicit for credit cards or a used car dealer tries to figure out if you can afford that shiny car you're casually shopping around for.

The OP makes a good point in that it is easy to grab the wrong card when they look alike, and this could be important as debit cards and credit cards do indeed work differently. I do not carry my bank's debit card ( I get my cash from my wife ) but I think I'll remind our son to be wise and judicious if he uses his.

Barry
jerseyfinn is offline  
Old Sep 25, 10, 4:02 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 45
Yikes, good news to know.
watchmyfly is offline  
Old Sep 25, 10, 5:52 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: DFW
Programs: aa EXP, dl GM, mar LTPLT, hh DIA, spg PLT, ich AMB, nat EE, hertz PC
Posts: 317
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian View Post
Negative, you are refering to an old FICO score, which is different from a complete risk credit score, at least in the banking and finance industry I was in. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. FICO comes from 3 agencies, normal credit is based off of at least 9, sometimes more. Some go to 900, otherse 990.
You are speaking of the Vantage system.. I stick with AMEX.. no worries there..
Deltican is offline  
Old Sep 29, 10, 4:09 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: LAS based - Home is worldwide
Programs: OneWorld Emeralds, Star Gold, SkyTeam Silver, Southwest A-List, VIP Car Renter, Hotel Elite
Posts: 7,170
Wirelessly posted (FlyerTalk.com/wap is fun : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; ADR6300 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Are you a dollar express member (or thrifty blue chip)? If so, you agreed to their entire terms and conditions including credit checks when you signed up for your account.
Mrp Alert is offline  
Old Oct 11, 10, 7:28 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: XNA, TUL
Programs: Avis First, AA plebian :(
Posts: 196
Dispute the inquiry on your report for being a) not a permissible purpose and b) the lack of your authorizing them to do pull your file

The FCRA is very clear on this stuff. If you don't authorize the pull, they can't do it. You must be notified orally or in writing of the fact that your report will be requested, and the notification must be conspicuous. It cannot be buried in a wall of text.

If it really upsets you, sue DTAG in small claims court and get your thousand bucks in statutory damages for the FCRA violation.
wierdo is offline  
Old Oct 11, 10, 10:30 am
  #15  
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SGF
Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Posts: 22,880
Originally Posted by wierdo View Post
Dispute the inquiry on your report for being a) not a permissible purpose
Doing so might be within your rights, but be careful or you just might make it so that it's impossible to rent with a debit card at all.

I already know of some agencies who have completely stopped taking debit cards because Visa sent a letter to most rental agencies threatening to fine rental agencies $5,000 per occurrence each time they charged an extra deposit beyond the estimated rental charges. Now they can't charge an extra deposit (i.e. for a $35 rental, the maximum that can be placed on a card is now $35--they can't add an extra $250 or $400 or whatever security deposit). Renting a car to someone who only has $40 in his or her checking account (without some other form of verification that the person is not a deadbeat) is far too risky for a rental agency, so the alternative was to simply cease accepting debit cards.

Other agencies rely on credit pulls instead of security deposits. If these agencies are now no longer allowed to pull credit scores because it is "not a permissible purpose," the alternative is to simply stop accepting debit cards.

Make a fuss, and you just might kill the ability to rent with a debit card at all.
jackal is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread