FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Insulin pump and security
View Single Post
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:21 am
catandmouse

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Insulin pump and security

I've just had an insulin pump fitted and am wondering what FTers with similar devices experience is at security. I know that the SOP says that such devices shouldn't be an issue, but I'm curious as to what real experiences are.
Thanks

I will update this thread with my experiences over the next few weeks:
GVA 09/01 Pump alarmed the WTMD given a very light pat-down, pump ignored
BRU 09/02 Pump alarmed the WTMD given a search in a screened area, had to show (lifting shirt) canula, given a light pat-down and wanding, pump given an explosives scrub, all very polite, took all of about 1 minute extra
GVA 09/12 Pump alarmed WTMD, light pat down, pump ignored (i.e. consistent with 09/091 experience)
OSL 09/15 Pump alarmed WTMD, wanded lightly
IAD 09/18 Pump alarmed WTMD, wanded, then light pat-down, had to touch pump with hand, then given explosives swab test, lost maybe 1 minute. Courteous, given explanations by screener, but his English wasn't very good, so only understood half of it.
GVA 09/27 Pump alarmed, pat down, rather thorough
CDG 09/27 Pump alarmed, pat down, shoes wanded, pump case given explosives swab test
GVA 09/29 Pump alarmed, pat down, shoes wanded
CDG 09/30 Pump alarmed, pat down, wanded, explosives swab test on pump
GVA 10/08 Pump alarmed, pat down
SEA 10/17 Pump alarmed, wanded, very light pat down, explosives swab on pump and my carry-on. I was separated from my carry-on and a colleague looked after it for me, earning frowns (but nothing more), for carrying it over to where I was being checked!
FRA 10/18 Pump alarmed, very superficial wanding - I was through before my carry-ons made it through the X-ray

Last edited by catandmouse; Oct 18, 2010 at 7:43 am Reason: Updates added