Wiki Posts
Search

Insulin pump and security

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Insulin pump and security

I've just had an insulin pump fitted and am wondering what FTers with similar devices experience is at security. I know that the SOP says that such devices shouldn't be an issue, but I'm curious as to what real experiences are.
Thanks

I will update this thread with my experiences over the next few weeks:
GVA 09/01 Pump alarmed the WTMD given a very light pat-down, pump ignored
BRU 09/02 Pump alarmed the WTMD given a search in a screened area, had to show (lifting shirt) canula, given a light pat-down and wanding, pump given an explosives scrub, all very polite, took all of about 1 minute extra
GVA 09/12 Pump alarmed WTMD, light pat down, pump ignored (i.e. consistent with 09/091 experience)
OSL 09/15 Pump alarmed WTMD, wanded lightly
IAD 09/18 Pump alarmed WTMD, wanded, then light pat-down, had to touch pump with hand, then given explosives swab test, lost maybe 1 minute. Courteous, given explanations by screener, but his English wasn't very good, so only understood half of it.
GVA 09/27 Pump alarmed, pat down, rather thorough
CDG 09/27 Pump alarmed, pat down, shoes wanded, pump case given explosives swab test
GVA 09/29 Pump alarmed, pat down, shoes wanded
CDG 09/30 Pump alarmed, pat down, wanded, explosives swab test on pump
GVA 10/08 Pump alarmed, pat down
SEA 10/17 Pump alarmed, wanded, very light pat down, explosives swab on pump and my carry-on. I was separated from my carry-on and a colleague looked after it for me, earning frowns (but nothing more), for carrying it over to where I was being checked!
FRA 10/18 Pump alarmed, very superficial wanding - I was through before my carry-ons made it through the X-ray

Last edited by catandmouse; Oct 18, 2010 at 7:43 am Reason: Updates added
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:40 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
i can't speak from experience and i'm sure you have already seen the information listed below but just in case....(and i would carry copies with you "just in case")

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1370.shtm
(under orthopedic shoes, support appliances, and other exterior medical Devices)

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1374.shtm
(under diabetes)
Old Aug 17, 2010, 8:15 am

Don't know about a pump but in SFO the airport "security" tried to take my needles.

also in CAN in china they try every time to cofiscate my insulin and needles even though I have my Drs scrip translated into Chinese.

All I can say is you never can tell.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Aug 18, 2010 at 2:09 pm Reason: less imflammatory
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DIFIN
Don't know about a pump but in SFO the airport "security" tried to take my needles.
If that had been me, the "officers" would be looking at attempted murder.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Aug 18, 2010 at 2:09 pm Reason: edited quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by catandmouse
I've just had an insulin pump fitted and am wondering what FTers with similar devices experience is at security. I know that the SOP says that such devices shouldn't be an issue, but I'm curious as to what real experiences are.
Thanks
As a TSO I have never had an issue with them. They rarely even alarm the WTMD, but its a good idea to let the TSO at the door know about it before you walk through. Not required or anything, just to make things easier for yourself in case it is one of the type that do alarm the door.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:31 pm

I am a type 1 diabetic and an occasional pump user.

Here's an article I wrote a while back on my experience:

When I pass through the xray I usually just keep my pump in my pocket and hope they don’t see it. My success has been about fifty fifty. It doesn’t set off the alarm, and if its inside my pocket they often don’t notice. If its clipped ONTO my pocket, or should I be wearing the above beige pocketless pleated pants, they’ll then inquire, I’ll explain, and they understand. The only slowdown occurred last March in Chicago when a TSA screener spotted my pump and asked me to remove it, (which they should not do,) however another screener sauntered over and corrected her by saying it WAS to remain on. The original TSA rebutted that her grandfather took his pump off at screenings. They went back and forth before realizing I was still standing there and then waved me through, then continued discussing the agent’s grandfather.

And a follow up regarding a discussion on disclosure:

Part of that post was used on this TSA Blog discussion too
http://blog.tsa.gov/2009/03/travelin...diabetics.html

I have some comments with TSORon in this post from May 09. I actually surprised myself re-reading them...
Old Aug 20, 2010, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Thanks Jamesdenver and TSARon. I guess I just wanted to know how things happen in practice. After all with the pump clipped on to a belt, they look a little like a cell phone.
I have a number of flights coming up in the next few weeks, including a couple to and from the US and will report on how things go.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:43 am

Programs: Virgin, United, Qantas
Thanks
I've had no problem flying with my pump - since it is predominately plastic it doesn't set off the scanner and I wear it under my shirt so I don't even mention it to the security officer.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 9:30 am

Thanks Jamesdenver and TSARon. I guess I just wanted to know how things happen in practice. After all with the pump clipped on to a belt, they look a little like a cell phone.
I have a number of flights coming up in the next few weeks, including a couple to and from the US and will report on how things go.
Don't expect consistent experiences. As said it's plastic so won't set off metal detector - so when I go through I make sure it's in my pocket, and usually they don't notice the small tube, or wear a shirt untucked to cover it.

Easier than volunteering info, explaining, answering questions etc.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by straygaijin
I've had no problem flying with my pump - since it is predominately plastic it doesn't set off the scanner and I wear it under my shirt so I don't even mention it to the security officer.
What will happen when you are screened with a TSA Strip Search Machine or will you Opt Out?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
What will happen when you are screened with a TSA Strip Search Machine or will you Opt Out?
Myself I would opt out -but if it's a pat down they'll find it anyway. In that case I'd just tell them beforehand.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesdenver
Myself I would opt out -but if it's a pat down they'll find it anyway. In that case I'd just tell them beforehand.
Either way you will be forced to reveal sensitive personal information to some of the worst trained federal employees to ever draw a pay check.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by jamesdenver
Part of that post was used on this TSA Blog discussion too
http://blog.tsa.gov/2009/03/travelin...diabetics.html

I have some comments with TSORon in this post from May 09. I actually surprised myself re-reading them...
Thanks James, I remember that thread. Its amazing isn’t how far into the “ignorance zone” some folks will go to make someone else look bad. Quite entertaining. That one thread is a perfect example of how people will refuse to acknowledge their own ignorance and use aggressive tactics to cover up their own inadequacies.

Everything I posted in that thread is 100% accurate, as far as it goes. I still don’t know very much about those glucose devices, but then again they are pretty rare from my point of view. Rare enough that I have still never seen one.

So, you were involved in that one, which poster were you? One of the Anon’s?

Please do, I'd be interested in how your experiences were and if there is anything we can do to assist someone with your particular special needs more than we already are.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
My pump does not alarm and it's not visible, so I rarely have a problem. There is no more reason to alert the TSO to the pump than to alert the TSO to any other item which may lawfully be transported, it only causes delays. Frankly, when I first got the pump and did mention it, I had several TSO's tell me that they wished I hadn't because they now had to do a pat down. If there is a pat down, there is nothing wrong with the pump and you will be on your way quickly.

There are always a few poorly-trained TSO's out there and if they give you a hard time, don't be afraid to ask for a supervisor.

Lastly, as a backup, you should always travel with copies of all of your prescriptions, including for your pump.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
Lastly, as a backup, you should always travel with copies of all of your prescriptions, including for your pump.
Of course, if you travel through a place like Philadelphia, be prepared to get arrested for carrying false paperwork or some other bovine feces.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.