FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - German employer - keep business related miles?
Old Aug 11, 2010, 3:26 pm
Flying Lawyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by rsercely
You are entitled to you opinion of course.

However, in the US, for most business travel, we work our 8-10 hours, _then_ are required to get on a flight for a total trip time of 3-6 hours, and almost always (at least in the US), we are not paid for any of this travel time.

IMHO - this absolutely makes the miles MINE!

When the company pays me for ALL of my travel time, they are welcome to the miles.
I do not know whether you and others pleading this are paid by hourly wages. After my bar exam I never got paid for any hour I worked but I received a package. And this always was for the job I did and not for the hours I was present.

As long as I am/was satisfied with the package I had no reason to complain. However, I would have never argued "I need to travel and need extra compensation for travel time" - my job involves international business. Given that I cannot really appreciate and argument "we understand this as extra compensation" (if so, it should be taxed accordingly )

Having said this, I use my miles regularily to upgrade my business flights which gives me greater personal comfort.