FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Some suggestions, please: Fine Dining in Chicago
Old Aug 7, 2010, 12:07 pm
SFflyer123

Programs: UA 1K
Any relation to the Girl & the Fig in Sonoma, California?

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I'll be Mr. Crabby here too. I was underwhelmed by both The Publican and The Gage. I've been to the Gage many times, and every time I've just kind of felt "meh" about it. I've been to The Publican twice and, while it was interesting and tasty enough (with enough salt for four people), I don't need to go back.

New hot restaurant I really liked: The Girl & The Goat. Although I wasn't so fond of the goat cheese cake thingy for dessert.
Or did they just use a similar play on words?

I will be headed to L20, Tru and Alinea soon. I am looking forward to it! I think--but I do not have enough evidence to support this--that Chicago will overtake San Francisco for world class dining. I think SF is great, but the restaurant scene here is somewhat stagnant. It's very "California" and fresh ingredients, but nothing terribly inventive. Don't get me wrong; it's excellent food, but it's just nothing new.

The molecular gastronomy scene, which seems to be the wave of the future, really has not taken hold here at all. Chicago claims Alinea, which is one of the top 50 restaurants in the world (the highest ranking American restaurant), and it specializes in molecular gastronomy. Moto is another molecular gastronomy place.

In SF? Nothing. Nada. Madrona Manor in Healdsburg uses liquid nitrogen for their ice cream treat, but really nowhere else is using molecular gastronomy. It seems that SF really is becoming more "old school" California, and now Chicago has taken over as the vanguard. I'm definitely looking forwar to trying out the cuisine firsthand.

Last edited by SFflyer123; Aug 7, 2010 at 12:12 pm