FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - German employer - keep business related miles?
Old Aug 6, 2010, 6:25 am
supermasterphil

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
German employer - keep business related miles?

Hey there!

This is a question for those working in Germany. (working anywhere else may of course contribute as well, please just indicate)

Does your employer allow you to keep the (award) miles that you earn on flights that you do for business? How about hotel stays, rental car miles, etc.?

I know that theoretically those miles would basically increase your gross income, leading to a higher tax and social welfare obligations.

How do your employers handle that? Do some "not care" and hope to get away with it? Do they not allow you to use these miles for private travel at all? Do some even wish to separate the accounts (business / private) so you don't even profit from the status miles?

I am currently a student, so my miles are my miles but I start to work soon and my soon to be employer insists that I sign a "Abtretungserklärung" (= declaration of assignment), allowing them to use miles earned for business for business travel.