FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AKL - Tahiti or Bora Bora
View Single Post
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:39 am
appfly

Programs: EBG, Hertz Five Star, A-club Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by DCF
As everyone is writing, PPT is really just an overnight stop en route to the outer islands of Bora Bora (BOB) and Moorea (MOZ).

The one problem you have is that if you try to do BOB and MOZ in cheap hotels you won't enjoy it. If you have a very tight budget and can't go to an outer island anywhere, just go to the Pacific Resort on Rarotonga which at least has turquoise water and powdery white sand.

My suggestion is as follows:

Combine Bora Bora and Moorea, and just overnight in Tahiti if you have to.

1. Take NZ40 on a Monday because that one arrives in Tahiti at 1600 on Sunday.

2. Book Air Tahiti (not Nui) PPT-MOZ on the 1800 flight that Sunday, so you spend your first three nights on Moorea, not Tahiti. Stay only at the Sofitel, the Hilton or the Intercontinental.

3. Book Air Tahiti MOZ-BOB on the Wednesday, and stay four nights on Bora Bora. Either Intercontinental, or the Hilton, or the St Regis or the Four Seasons. Consider the Sofitel Motu if they are too dear, or the Sofitel Marara or Pearl Beach if your budget is still blown. If you really can't even afford that, stay at Chez Nono on Matira Beach.

4. Book Air Tahiti VT261 BOB 1150 PPT 1330 on Sunday, connecting to:

5. NZ41 to Auckland departing PPT at 1715.

This way you don't have to stay in Tahiti at all. You get 3 nights on Moorea and 4 on Bora Bora, and that is the absolute best 2-centre island holiday in the world.

The cheapest decent two-centre Moorea/Bora Bora combination would be Les Tipaniers on Moorea and Chez Nono on Bora Bora, but then you will have no safe etc.

A way to do it in comfort would be to book the cheapest room at the Hilton Moorea and Hilton Bora Bora.

If I wanted the most romantic option, I would combine a Tahiti-view bungalow at the Sofitel Moorea with a horizon overwater bungalow at the cheaper of the two Bora Bora Intercontinentals, the Moana Beach.

If I wanted unabashed luxury, I'd combine the overwater bungalow at Intercontinental Moorea with the same at Four Seasons Bora Bora.

One word of warning. Moorea has sensational mountains, but the lagoon colours on Bora Bora are the most spectacular sight of all. You will regret it if you visit Bora Bora first - you MUST do Moorea first. Plus there are no flights left that evening to BOB after NZ40 arrives from AKL, whereas there are still two more Moorea flights.

Hope that helps.........
Thanks a lot, that is great information. I really want to avoid a unnecessary night in Tahiti, looking for the fastest possible connection to Moorea or Bora Bora. I have been looking at the Sofitel and Four Seasons, they seem very nice

I think it will work with our schedule too, we just spend a few more days in Auckland before continuing on to the Islands. Any pointers on how to spend 5 days in AKL the best. I can happily rent a car and drive outside AKL and stay in a nice B&B a day or two.

As for the booking on ANZ website, I get all the airport options, but always receive an error message. However using a external flight booking site, then it finds flights with ANZ and Air Tahiti to these locations...