FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Birmingham Metropole {GBR}
View Single Post
Old Jul 29, 2010, 2:00 pm
trainman74

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Originally Posted by Wadge
I am just wondering if anyone can request a detailed event report. The timing is pretty strange and this "bedroom" reason may be just a polite way of telling us nothing.
You might be able to get information from the local fire department (or "fire brigade," as I guess you'd say) -- but I suspect it would be little more than "hotel called 4:00 with report of alarm on 6th floor, arrived 4:04, investigated, no fire found."

It also made me wondering as the Executive rooms are on top floors, what if it had happened to me when I was in the Niagara Falls Hilton? Running down from floor 47 or so and then walk back with kids... not the best location from risk point of view and what if there is a "real" fire.. nigthmare
You're actually less likely to be disturbed by a false alarm in a building that tall, because in most high-rise buildings, the fire alarm will only sound on the floor where it's been triggered, plus a floor or two above and below. When buildings are equipped with modern fire-suppression equipment (sprinklers, automatically-closing fire doors, etc.), then people more than a couple of floors away are in more danger of injury from the evacuation than they would be from the fire itself.

But, yes, you do have to make the tradeoff between the various benefits of being on a high floor and the risk of a fire breaking out. (It is, though, a very small risk.)

By the way, please don't go literally running down if you ever have to evacuate again.