FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Going through customs under the age of 18
Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:34 pm
N639DL

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by ESpen36
CBP in the USA generally does not have an issue with minors entering or leaving the country. For U.S. Citizens, both custodial parents must consent to having a passport issued to minor children. That is how the U.S. government regulates foreign travel of minors, since there are no exit immigration controls for those with a valid US Passport (or a passport issued from most other countries except a handful).

BUT....overseas is another issue entirely. Actually, minor solo travel can be a BIG deal when dealing with customs/immigration authorities overseas. I used to travel to Mexico by myself all the time when I was under 18, and had to go through this crazy rigamarole with notarized letters or else the airline would not permit me to board. Here's why:

Many countries have laws protecting minors from abduction by parents who are fleeing their home country in custody disputes. If you are under 18 and are traveling without BOTH parents/custodians, a notarized letter from the absent parent(s)/guardian(s) might well be required, as proof that all custodial guardians approve of the child's travel.

Here's an example:

Venezuela's child protection law mandates that minors (under 18) who are citizens or non-citizen residents of Venezuela and who are traveling alone, with only one parent, or with a third party, must present a copy of their birth certificate and written, notarized authorization from the absent parent(s) or legal guardian, specifically granting permission to travel alone, with one parent, or with a third party. This authorization must reflect the precise date and time of the travel, including flight and/or other pertinent information. Without this authorization, immigration authorities will prevent the child's departure from Venezuela. The Venezuelan Government no longer recognizes blanket or non-specific travel authorizations. When a parent is deceased, a notarized copy of the death certificate is required in lieu of the written authorization. If documents are prepared in the United States, the authorization and the birth certificate must be translated into Spanish, notarized, and authenticated by the Venezuela Embassy or a Venezuelan consulate in the United States. If documents are prepared in Venezuela, only notarization by a Venezuelan notary is required. A permission letter prepared outside Venezuela is valid for 90 days. A permission letter prepared in Venezuela is valid for 60 days.

Lots more information on Travel.State.Gov. Just pull up a specific country and look under Entry/Exit Requirements.
Interesting. Had no idea that some countries would do that.