Going through customs under the age of 18

Old Jul 18, 2010, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Going through customs under the age of 18

Will CBP not just here in the U.S. but in other countries also have an issue with someone under the age of 18 going through customs/immigration completely by themselves?
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:05 pm

Based on the fact that they are underage alone / custody concerns? Absolutely not
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:24 pm

Maybe if she says she's coming to visit a guy she met on the internet. She may also be asked questions used to determine whether her parents or guardians know where she is. Other than that, minors travel alone all the time, so it's not much of a concern.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. Good to know for potential future uses.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:23 am

Programs: Skymiles, AAdvantage
I never had a problem going through US customs when I was under 18. They just swiped my passport like normal and said "welcome back".

The only comment I have had was from a customs guy in SXM. He found it a little odd. So was asking me these random security questions. I guess its not everyday a teenager is flying back home alone from SXM.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 5:55 am

Programs: OnePass,MileagePlus
When I was 18 I use to cross in to the USA and the boarder patrol use to question me tough as I am Canadian and she is American. Now at age 31 they still question me as to why am I dating an American
Just be prepared for a lot of questions when crossing in to the USA or Canada at the age of 18.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
I did a lot of travelling by myself before I turned 18, and crossed many borders. (In fact, I celebrated my 18th birthday in Morocco). It wasn't any different then than is now, with the exception of the fact that then, although the government had no problem with me travelling alone to Europe, Africa, India and Asia, navigating all the attendant challenges of travel in those days, including bureaucrats, hustlers, pickpockets, pimps, prostitutes, drug dealers, diseases, insurrections, wars, strikes, outages, failures and unexpected developments of all types (all of course without facebook, mobiles, the internet or even reliable telephone networks), that still didn't stop them from telling me I wasn't old enough to order a drink when I got home to the USA.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Interesting to hear that. The reason why I asked is that I thought for some reason that some places would not allow it or something. I stand corrected.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:27 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I believe there are some countries where they might be concerned about a minor alone being a runaway (far more likely at a land border crossing, I suspect). My son traveled to India alone at 15 and went through a couple of other countries in the process. He had no problems. I did provide a notarized letter signed by me and his father saying he had permission to make the trip, but he didn't need it. I still felt better erring on the safe side.

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 20, 2010 at 9:45 am Reason: spelling
Old Jul 19, 2010, 5:17 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I only took one international trip without at least one of my parents before the age of 18, and that was to Mexico at 16. It was a resort destination, so the Mexicans could care less. I can't even remember if I had a permission letter from my parents, though I do know that at least one of my parents came to the airport and the gate before I left (was long before 9/11).

The only issue I had was with the Customs idiot making the presumption that since I was 16 and traveling alone from Mexico, I would of course have a small amount of marijuana (likely for me and my friends to get stoned and not hurt anyone), so he ransacked my bags and even jacket. Guess he was looking for his "big catch." When he didn't find anything, I asked why he had singled me out and he actually admitted it. I told him I was insulted, that I didn't even drink alcohol and that he was a jerk for making that presumption. I found his supervisor and made the complaint. Started early I guess
Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by N639DL
Will CBP not just here in the U.S. but in other countries also have an issue with someone under the age of 18 going through customs/immigration completely by themselves?

CBP in the USA generally does not have an issue with minors entering or leaving the country. For U.S. Citizens, both custodial parents must consent to having a passport issued to minor children. That is how the U.S. government regulates foreign travel of minors, since there are no exit immigration controls for those with a valid US Passport (or a passport issued from most other countries except a handful).

BUT....overseas is another issue entirely. Actually, minor solo travel can be a BIG deal when dealing with customs/immigration authorities overseas. I used to travel to Mexico by myself all the time when I was under 18, and had to go through this crazy rigamarole with notarized letters or else the airline would not permit me to board. Here's why:

Many countries have laws protecting minors from abduction by parents who are fleeing their home country in custody disputes. If you are under 18 and are traveling without BOTH parents/custodians, a notarized letter from the absent parent(s)/guardian(s) might well be required, as proof that all custodial guardians approve of the child's travel.

Here's an example:

Venezuela's child protection law mandates that minors (under 18) who are citizens or non-citizen residents of Venezuela and who are traveling alone, with only one parent, or with a third party, must present a copy of their birth certificate and written, notarized authorization from the absent parent(s) or legal guardian, specifically granting permission to travel alone, with one parent, or with a third party. This authorization must reflect the precise date and time of the travel, including flight and/or other pertinent information. Without this authorization, immigration authorities will prevent the child's departure from Venezuela. The Venezuelan Government no longer recognizes blanket or non-specific travel authorizations. When a parent is deceased, a notarized copy of the death certificate is required in lieu of the written authorization. If documents are prepared in the United States, the authorization and the birth certificate must be translated into Spanish, notarized, and authenticated by the Venezuela Embassy or a Venezuelan consulate in the United States. If documents are prepared in Venezuela, only notarization by a Venezuelan notary is required. A permission letter prepared outside Venezuela is valid for 90 days. A permission letter prepared in Venezuela is valid for 60 days.

Lots more information on Travel.State.Gov. Just pull up a specific country and look under Entry/Exit Requirements.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ESpen36
CBP in the USA generally does not have an issue with minors entering or leaving the country. For U.S. Citizens, both custodial parents must consent to having a passport issued to minor children. That is how the U.S. government regulates foreign travel of minors, since there are no exit immigration controls for those with a valid US Passport (or a passport issued from most other countries except a handful).

BUT....overseas is another issue entirely. Actually, minor solo travel can be a BIG deal when dealing with customs/immigration authorities overseas. I used to travel to Mexico by myself all the time when I was under 18, and had to go through this crazy rigamarole with notarized letters or else the airline would not permit me to board. Here's why:

Many countries have laws protecting minors from abduction by parents who are fleeing their home country in custody disputes. If you are under 18 and are traveling without BOTH parents/custodians, a notarized letter from the absent parent(s)/guardian(s) might well be required, as proof that all custodial guardians approve of the child's travel.

Here's an example:

Venezuela's child protection law mandates that minors (under 18) who are citizens or non-citizen residents of Venezuela and who are traveling alone, with only one parent, or with a third party, must present a copy of their birth certificate and written, notarized authorization from the absent parent(s) or legal guardian, specifically granting permission to travel alone, with one parent, or with a third party. This authorization must reflect the precise date and time of the travel, including flight and/or other pertinent information. Without this authorization, immigration authorities will prevent the child's departure from Venezuela. The Venezuelan Government no longer recognizes blanket or non-specific travel authorizations. When a parent is deceased, a notarized copy of the death certificate is required in lieu of the written authorization. If documents are prepared in the United States, the authorization and the birth certificate must be translated into Spanish, notarized, and authenticated by the Venezuela Embassy or a Venezuelan consulate in the United States. If documents are prepared in Venezuela, only notarization by a Venezuelan notary is required. A permission letter prepared outside Venezuela is valid for 90 days. A permission letter prepared in Venezuela is valid for 60 days.

Lots more information on Travel.State.Gov. Just pull up a specific country and look under Entry/Exit Requirements.
Interesting. Had no idea that some countries would do that.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 4:20 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite, United Mileage Plus, National Emerald Club, BAEC
I would err on the side of caution and have a letter from your parents or guardian and a working cell phone number for either end of the trip.
It is not that minors are incapable of travelling by themselves it is more confirming that there are no concerns regarding custody of a minor, or they are not running off to meet their internet boy/girlfriend - I know if my kid travels by themselves I'd prefer a phone call to see if everything is fine over a postcard from Marjorca reading "so long dad".
Old Jul 20, 2010, 5:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by ESpen36

Here's an example:

Hmm, well Venezuela is just one of the many countries I visited on my travels before I turned 18. Went by boat to La Guaira, up to Caracas, then on to Merda and into the Andes. Never had the issue of my age come up, there or anywhere else.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 9:52 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by polonius
Hmm, well Venezuela is just one of the many countries I visited on my travels before I turned 18. Went by boat to La Guaira, up to Caracas, then on to Merda and into the Andes. Never had the issue of my age come up, there or anywhere else.
It comes up in Costa Rica, Mexico and many others. There are several threads in the Travel with Children forum about it and the state department website will tell you which countries this is an issue in. One parent with a child will generally not be allowed to board a plane in the US bound for Mexico without a notarized letter from the other parent, for example. And in Costa Rica an adult can generally not take a child out of the country without being able to prove that child is theirs for fear of child trafficking.

Your experiences may have had to do with not arriving in Venezuela directly from the US or not being with an adult or any number of other things.

This is a bit of a different issue than a minor traveling solo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.