FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pain of traveling on an award ticket. Should I ask for compensation?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:47 pm
fastair

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by channa
I would have to think the alliance wins out. Otherwise the carrier could put rules into place to circumvent alliance rules, which would defeat the purpose of the alliance.

For example, I don't think a carrier can publish a fare that said "STAR GOLD BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE DOES NOT APPLY." And if they did, I don't think they could get away with charging a *G for baggage that's within the published *G allowance.

If the carrier wants that Star logo on their planes, and the ability to earn all the bookings that come along with it, then they should have to follow Star rules.
And can you show me the contract that you as a star customer has that stipulates such, as opposed to the rule on the ticket that you have with the specific carrier? I am betting there is no such contract that a customer has with any alliance. The contract one has is with the carrier that is operating the flight, and to some extent, that issues the ticket.

Linking a FAQ section of a guideline page for employees of the respective carriers sure as heck constitutes no contract with a passenger. On the other hand, the terms and conditions of the specific ticket sure do.