Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Pain of traveling on an award ticket. Should I ask for compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2010, 1:58 pm
jtn
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I am typing this in the RCC at PDX. I was supposed to fly out at 10:20am from PDX - SFO and then connect SFO - PVG at 1:45pm.

The flight from PDX couldn't leave because of a mechanical problem. So a ground crew came up on the plane and ask that people with international connection to de-plane. For most people going to Asia destinations, they were protected on a later Delta flight to NRT then PVG. But for me, because I was flying using miles, they said that they couldn't provide me the same flight.

So now I have to take a United red-eye to ORD and then from ORD to PVG tomorrow's morning, arriving a day later.

Has anyone been through this? I don't know whether I should be given any IDB compensation. The RCC has offered to give me food and hotel voucher until tonight's flight @ 11pm. I also tried to see whether they would bump me up to biz...but that was also a no-go. What a frustrating day.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I've been rebooked on another carrier when flying on an award ticket and facing delays / cancellations (albeit not internationally). If you stand your group during irrops and have an agent who knows what to do, and award ticket shouldn't be treated differently from a revenue ticket.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:04 pm

Sorry, thats not even close to what an IDB is. This is one the risk of travelling on an award ticket. If you would like, UA will refund the miles and taxes you paid if you would rather not travel.

Last edited by denverhockeyguy; Jul 15, 2010 at 2:05 pm Reason: Strike last part, delay is longer than 8hrs.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
I am surprised.

Do you know if they had used all of the Delta seats and you were lower priority, or if they really wouldn't give you the seat because you were on an award ticket?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
I've been rebooked on another carrier when flying on an award ticket and facing delays / cancellations (albeit not internationally). If you stand your group during irrops and have an agent who knows what to do, and award ticket shouldn't be treated differently from a revenue ticket.
Not true. I'm pretty sure they don't have to endorse you to another carrier. Same kind of restrictions if you were travelling on a VDB voucher. I could see them potentially moving the OP to a *A carrier, but if Delta was the only option they probably wouldn't be so helpful.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0...lliance+Awards

Routings: Saver / Star Alliance Awards are for roundtrip travel. One-way travel is not permitted. Backhauls (backtracking routings) are not permitted, except as required by routing restrictions. Side trips are not permitted on a single award. Round-The-World routing is defined as one Pacific and one Atlantic crossing; you must use legal routings as defined in pricing rules and continue travel in the same direction. Involuntary re-routing permitted on Star Alliance carriers only. If award travel crosses a geographic area to reach another region, member is subject to the higher of the two award levels. Most direct routing applies.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 15, 2010 at 4:49 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:13 pm
jtn
Original Poster

The GA said that they couldn't give me a seat on Delta because Delta would not accept a "miles" ticket from another alliance. I am a UA 1K...but I'm sure that doesn't mean anything to Delta.

With my bad luck today, it was a UX flight from PDX...but I don't know whether that has anything to do with their inability to get me a Delta seat.

I just got off the phone with 1K desk too. They basically said the same thing. Offered to give me some good will compensation...20% or 250 Ecert or 10K miles.

I am calling again to see if I can get on a later Air China flight from LAX...at least that's *A so maybe.....
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,8566,1141,00.html
One-way travel is not permitted
Definitely out of date.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
FWIW, I believe they do officially call Awards "non-endorseable".

But....

UA once endoresed my wifes award ticket to NW (probably about 3-4 years ago).
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Definitely out of date.
Not out of date. I do agree the wording could be better and its from the current website. First line references both Saver & *A. One-way awards are not permitted on *A, correct?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Definitely out of date.
The page referenced by denverhockeyguy is for SAVER awards only. Those Terms and Conditions are for SAVER awards only.

So, no they are not out of date. There are no one-way SAVER awards on Star Alliance carriers.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:40 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
FWIW, I believe they do officially call Awards "non-endorseable".

But....

UA once endoresed my wifes award ticket to NW (probably about 3-4 years ago).
This isn't a classic "endorsement" in the sense of an endorsable ticket. It's an "INVOL" endorsement, different can of worms.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:46 pm
jtn
Original Poster

Off to the hotel I go....no luck getting out of here today. As far as rules go, even if another carrier is *A, there would have to be award flight inventory for me to go on. And there wasn't any on Air China.

Thank you all for your inputs.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
UA can most definitely transfer an award ticket to another carrier. Though I've heard this line before, so there must be some outdated rule that used to prevent it.

Star Alliance rebooking policies don't seem to differentiate between types of tickets:

http://www.starallianceemployees.com...andling.1.html

The policies apply to all customers with confirmed reservations and those who have been accepted on the flight.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold; DL Gold Medallion; HHonors Silver; Marriott Rewards Silver Elite
In August 2008 I had a UA award ticket booked from STR-BOS via CDG and YUL on LH and AC. Horrible itinerary, I know, however that was all that was available at the time I booked the tickets. This all occurred during a series of LH strikes, and although the strike was over, LH City Line was still on strike, and thus my flight to CDG was canceled. All other passengers were placed on an AF flight, however since I was traveling on an award ticket, I was ineligible. HOWEVER, it worked out in my favor, since the LH agent booked me STR-FRA-BOS! ^ I can't imagine that this was because LH had excess award seat inventory, since the flights were completely full, and I also given the option to fly via MUC or ZRH (LX) if I wanted. Maybe just better customer service?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Hey, maybe you'll get lucky and they'll book this quite circuitous re-route in mileage earning Y

Oh, forgot...as a 1K, definitely share your misfortune with the 1K desk. Maybe they'll ease your pain with some RDM's, since this is a RDM award situation. Can't hurt...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.