FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tipping-Who has been chased down outside a restaurant
Old Jul 14, 2010, 4:54 pm
neuron

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SkeptiCallie
Years ago, some friends arrived in Manhattan for the summer with two or three suitcases. I met them, and we hailed a cab.

The friends paid the cab driver but neglected to add enough to the tip to cover handling the suitcases. It wasn't a deliberate oversight, they were just very young. So the cab driver threw the suitcases some distance, maybe 10-15 feet, and called the friends a phrase I had never heard until then or, for that matter, have heard since. Frightening incident with the suitcases, more than it sounds, and we were shaking for some time.

One of the friends, however, had the presence of mind to run to the cab while this was happening and get his name or number from the dashboard. and she subsequently filed a report. He faced an administrative hearing some weeks after. The board wrote her and told her that she wouldn't have to appear in court, as he had pleaded guilty.
Also had it happen from a cab driver. Friend had just moved to the city and we were taking a cab. He offered to pay so I got out and headed towards the restaurant. He hops out and I hear the cab driver cursing out the window. I asked him - "did you leave a tip?" and he replied, "I rounded up". I laughed and said welcome to New York!