Reload this Page >

Tipping-Who has been chased down outside a restaurant

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping-Who has been chased down outside a restaurant

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2010, 3:14 pm

The opposite can happen, FWIW. I was with a group at one of what they used to call fern bars ("Hello, my name is -- and I will be your server tonight") several years ago, each of us ordering and paying separately. My bill for a sandwich was something like $7 or $8. I handed the server a $20, since I didn't have a smaller bill, when she came round for payment, but she never returned with my change. I tried to get her attention but couldn't. She seemed to be deliberately avoiding me.

No way to do anything about it, unfortunately, without making a scene, which--as I am certain she had taken into account--I wasn't going to do in a group.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
As a server at a nice restaurant, obviously I would never chase someone down for a bad tip -- a terrible reflection on both the restaurant and my professionalism. I have however, tried to catch someone when they take both credit card slips with them, which would result in me getting no tip (and actually, losing money on the table since I have to tip out the host staff, et al). I'm curious if those posting in this thread would find that rude.
Given that it's tantamount to not paying (yes, I realize in this day and age, the charge would still be possible, but it's a hassle for whomever does the billing and makes it easier for the customer to dispute), it's a very serious oversight, and I would not consider it rude to chase after them. Ditto if they left the charge slip unsigned.

I've once been flagged (prior to leaving the restaurant) by a server having failed my addition (after a several glasses of wine on a $100+ meal, accidentally giving the total as $10 less than it ought to have been, although the tip amount was correct.) I didn't find that rude, corrected the amount (and, although probably not necessary, initialled the correction) and left. I've been back to the same place many times since, although not generally drinking quite so much.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by SkeptiCallie
No way to do anything about it, unfortunately, without making a scene, which--as I am certain she had taken into account--I wasn't going to do in a group.
That strikes me as a point when a bit of assertiveness is called for; it's not making a scene when someone's just robbed you of your change.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:41 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Originally Posted by milepig
Actuially still IN the restaurant, and the situation was NO tip rather than too small.

Fairly embarrasing actually, I was part of a group or maybe 4-5 people, and another member collected all our cash and then put the whole thing on his credit card, neglecting to add a tip.

I was sort of the last one leaving and the waiter pulled me aside and explained the lack of a tip for what was a fairly large bill.

I offered to take care of it, and it turned out that since I didn't have enough cash (having just GIVEN all my cash to the person who paid the bill) I tried to put it on my credit card. Turned out they couldn't bill me for tax only, so I "bought" a cup of coffee and left a huge tip.
What a d-bag. Good on you for your resourcefulness! ^
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by francophile
Seven years ago, I had lunch at Le Cinq in Paris, then a Michelin three star now demoted to two. After an excellent lunch with outstanding service, I was ready to sign the credit card slip when I noticed there was no line to write in a tip.

I asked the restaurant manager in French where on the credit card slip I could leave a tip (I used the term "pourboire" which means tip in Canadian French. He didn't know what that word meant. I also used the term "service"). He replied that it wasn't possible to leave something extra and then said in English "maybe next time".

Also when dining at the Georgian Room at Harrods in London, there was no place on the credit card slip to leave something extra.
I've been in a number of countries that don't seem to allow you to put a tip on a credit card. Cash only for tips.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 6:05 pm

back in the days when i used to pay mainly in cash, it would sometimes happen that i'd leave 2 twenties on a $30 bill. i recall one japanese place where the service wasn't good to begin with, and noticed it was taking an awfully long time to get my change. as the minutes ticked by, it was clear that the server decided that she was getting a nice 25% tip for mediocre service. i thought about saying something, but i was in no hurry and just sat there talking with my friend - and there were people coming in and waiting for tables to open up. after about 20 minutes i finally got my change. i was watching, and could actually see her with a notepad - it looked like she was trying to calculate my change.

so when i finally got my change, i scooped all of it and left with my friend. 20 seconds later, our server is chasing us down the sidewalk asking for her tip. i gave her a pretty good tip: the customer, not the server, decides what the tip will be.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 6:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I've been in a number of countries that don't seem to allow you to put a tip on a credit card. Cash only for tips.
maybe means you don't need to tip?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flahusky
If that was to ever happen, I assure you there is a call to the restaurant owner/mgr in question and snail mail to back up the call.
Depending on the wait persons attitude, a call to the local police for assault may happen.
Drama queen much? Unless you're posting from prison, I doubt that you throw punches whenever someone gives you attitude. Flown through Newark or Philly lately? By the way, I trained a lot time with people who do a lot of martial arts in the day when they're not working as a waiter. You might want to drop the attitude. You will get better service that way.

Actually had this happen about a month ago. My girlfriend and I went out to eat. We both ordered and just before my girlfriend's meal came out, our waitress come up and said she forgot to put my order in so I immediately told her that I would need to see her manager. The manager came out and I explained to him what happened. He was extremely apologetic and I got my portion of the meal for free. I told him then that his waitress better not think she deserves a tip and he said he understood completely and it was well within my right to not tip if I felt the service wasn't appropriate.
Immediately? Why would you do that? The manager isn't going to do. Someone owned up to their mistake and was looking to rectify things and you said "manager"? That's sort of comical. I take it common sense and social skills aren't your forte? You should have given the person a chance to make it right by you. I'm also not sure if you noticed, but everyone (even me, though it's rare) makes mistakes. I'm not sure that you probably would like to be treated that way. Also, I'm doubtful that you would have given your girlfriend and those around you a good impression of yourself for being a tattle tale.

To the OP, I've asked this question of people in my former life. Of course, there are ways to ask things without actually asking them. My question was more like I gave you the best service of your life and flawlessly served your table of 10 people yet you gave me a horrible tip. Are you a rotten person or did I screw up in some way. That of course was veiled with, "Was everything ok tonight?"

You really don't need to break that out that often. Wait staff know if they're doing well or not and it's not that often you run into the cheapskates...particularly in an actual restaurant.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 12:03 am

It is sad how people these days in the service industry just expect to be tipped. They earn a hourly wage for there work. I tip based on the service I receive. Bad service = No Tip and great service = a good tip based on how much I spent. It also depends on the type of establishment.

I was on a road trip with 16 people and we all polled into a restaurant, I think it was Dennys or something similar. We all ordered meals and coffee and were almost the only people there. We were there a hour and kept asking for a refill on coffee and I finally got up complained to her that she still has not brought us more coffee, even though we asked her many times. She finally brings us coffee as we were preparing to leave. Then a couple Mexicans stopped in and seated themselves and she proceeded to make some pretty racist remarks about them not waiting to be seated. ...??? it was the middle of the night and the place was virtually empty except for my group. We all payed the bill to the exact cent, no tip from my 16 person group. As we left she came out and asked about her tip, and I said It took over a hour to get a refill on coffee, service was poor and we herd her remarks about the 2 guys that came in. She went inside after that.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by iamthescott
It is sad how people these days in the service industry just expect to be tipped. They earn a hourly wage for there work. I tip based on the service I receive. Bad service = No Tip and great service = a good tip based on how much I spent. It also depends on the type of establishment.

I was on a road trip with 16 people and we all polled into a restaurant, I think it was Dennys or something similar. We all ordered meals and coffee and were almost the only people there. We were there a hour and kept asking for a refill on coffee and I finally got up complained to her that she still has not brought us more coffee, even though we asked her many times. She finally brings us coffee as we were preparing to leave. Then a couple Mexicans stopped in and seated themselves and she proceeded to make some pretty racist remarks about them not waiting to be seated. ...??? it was the middle of the night and the place was virtually empty except for my group. We all payed the bill to the exact cent, no tip from my 16 person group. As we left she came out and asked about her tip, and I said It took over a hour to get a refill on coffee, service was poor and we herd her remarks about the 2 guys that came in. She went inside after that.
While I agree with your decision to not tip - there must be ramifications both for the delayed coffee and the racist comments - I disagree with your statement "They earn a hourly wage for there work."[sic] The wage most waitstaff earn is substantially less than the minimum wage for other professions, and it is not incumbent on the employer to make up the difference if they are not tipped adequately. So, I think it would be more correct to say: "They earn an hourly pittance for their work."
Old Jul 17, 2010, 8:17 am

We had a coworker like that who would collect for the group and put it on his card ( neglecting to add tip ) using everyone's tip portion to cover his share.
We found out by accident when someone had gone back to retrieve their gloves they had left at the table.

Now forever his name is linked to that move and brought up whenever the cash pool is put together when the bill arrives.

Karma prevails.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by mike_asia
Ever had the waiter/waitress come out of the restaurant and complain you did not give a big enough tip?
No, but one time I did the chasing. Cheap b@stard was rather embarrassed in front of his wife and kids.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 8:48 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Closed for review.

cblaisd
Moderator, Dining Buzz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.