FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any chance of compensation???
View Single Post
Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:03 pm
DownUnderFlyer
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by busman7
Actually the best advise on cheap tickets is to avoid Australia with Qantas's near monopoly & only choose destinations with multiple carriers which I shall advise anyone who asks!
Well having more options is always good. The reality however is different. QF has a monopoly within Australia. AA has a monopoly within the US, BA within the UK etc. as far as OW is concerned. And then there are international routes which are operated as a monopoly within OW such as SFO-LHR among many others. So if you only want to fly routes which are served by more than one OW carrier then this will restrict your movements quite a bit.
And there are some AA routes like your DFW-ANC who don't have any L seats available for days in a row even so it is a daily flight.

Originally Posted by FedUp2
Busman, IMO when OW sells a RTW product bookable in L class only and then OW carriers (e.g. QF) have restricted availability in L, I think it is somewhat (or a lot) deceptive on the part of the airlines.
I agree with Dave Noble here. This particular route is only served three times a week on 767 and it is just very busy. Of course one can take HA, FJ, NZ or JQ on that route but the OP bought a ticket which doesn't allow to use them. I wouldn't call this deceptive. I agree however, that this is one of the big problems of the LONEx as its low booking class creates those issues. Not just with QF but with any carrier. The Star Alliance RTW is superior in this respect as it books into a much higher booking class.
BTW, you can get the same problem in Business or First as well. One segment the OP is flying DFW-ANC is very often sold out in A and you need to wait days to get a flight confirmed. I sometimes fly LHR-MCT-LHR and I know that Business Class (D) sells out on certain days (Fridays!) so I have to confirm those tickets 6 months in advance to get what I want.