FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Compare the J seats CDG-New York (all airports) 777 v. A380 v. etc...
Old May 31, 2010, 9:33 am
brunos
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Gate45
Hi all,

Well I quite frankly disagree with all who consider the differences between NEV2 and NEV3 to be small.
To me, they are two completely different seats (even though NEV3 has been cleverly disguised to look like its older brother NEV2 so that noone would complain about product inconsistency).
Playing the NEV-lottery every time I book a 777 J trip is actually one of the major gripes I have against AF, as I find the consequences of my winning of loosing to be enormous. To put it simply: I manage to get decent sleep on NEV3, while I find myself completely unable to do anything more than lightly doze off on NEV2, as I have to change position every 10 minutes.

I am sure all the geometric analyses are right in saying than the seats are similar. But the fact remains that NEV3 is much more comfortable to sleep on (indeed, the lowered armrest allows for virtually any position) and even to seat on (the paddings are completely different and the footstop makes a difference as soon as you want to be in a "lounge" position, not just when fully flat).

The only downside of NEV3 is the traytable, which wobbles a lot more than that of NEV2 (which is not to say that that of NEV2 is in any way sturdy, sturdy table is a P-feature on AF ;-)).

Every time I board an AF 777, I am anxious to see which version of NEV I am going to be seating on, and I try and avoid 332s and 344s and their guaranteed NEV2 at all cost.

So there you go, a different approach to the NEV2 vs NEV3 debate, and yet another demonstration that your mileage may vary.

(btw, just fly the 388, amazing bird)
Hi Gate45, I will go one step further in your direction. Besides the dropping armrest (which few people who say they have used NEV3 appear to mention), NEV3 have a slightly more comfortable feel. Eventhough this is a subjective judgement, they seem to have twisted a couple of degrees here and there, as well as padding, to make it feel a bit more comfortable, including in lie-flat mode.
But this remain a lie-flat, uncomfortable for your back when sleeping and in pair or trio seating, as opposed to the flat solo seats proposed by many airlines. I usually travel with my wife (business or leisure) so pair seating is OK, but I do not wish to be the middle guy in the center seats.