Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

Compare the J seats CDG-New York (all airports) 777 v. A380 v. etc...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2010, 6:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many

I have to set the date for a return TATL to NYC in August. I was not impressed with J on the 777 when I last flew AF TATL. I think AF operate nearly every aircraft in their long haul fleet on CDG to JFK/EWR depending on which flight you take. Is there much difference in the J product as between the 777, A380 and 747? I would like to take the 747 for sentimental reasons, but worry their J will have outdated recliner seats. Is the J product on the A380 > the 777? Thanks.
Old May 31, 2010, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
The J product is basically the same across the fleet, with minor differences in the NEV seat version. A380 and some 777 have the last seat called NEV3, while the others have NEV2 and I think some 744 still have the NEV1. I think that all A340 and A332 are NEV 2. The difference between these versions is mostly the angle with the ground (angled lie-fat seat) and the presence/absence of a foot rest. So with the B744, you have a greater chance to fly an older version of the product but, again, the difference is small. Please note also that some 744 have an outdated video system. If you finally choose the 744, book a seat in the front part (in the nose). I love to be seated in this part of the plane.
If I had the choice, in your case, I would choose the A380. It's a fantastic A/C and it's brand new !
Old May 31, 2010, 12:16 am

Programs: DL DM & MM, CO Plat, MR Plat, HH Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite, Hertz#1 Gold,Hyatt Plat
Any seat recommendations for the A380 business class? I'm flying next month and I'm in the front biz cabin right now - 61H I think it is.
Old May 31, 2010, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I have now flown fairly extensively on all NEV versions of 777.
I find the angle similar on NEV2 and NEV3, and it should as the seat pitch is identical. On my recent trip to EZE I even brought my BOSCH electronic angle measurer (costs some €100). Quite accurate within a couple of degrees. Of course, the three parts of teh seats have different angle, but the average inclination is a bit less than 170°.
I do not fint the foot stop of any use, as your feet are blocked by the seatshell in front of you anyway. IMO the major improvement of the last version is that one armrest moves down when lowering the seat, making the seat wider (around the thigh area) for sleeping. As I have back problems, I sleep on the side in teh foetus position. So with the new NEV I get more space to move my knees up and get less back pains in the morning.

The nose of the 747 has a great clubby feel but the seats can be quite old and the video antique.
Old May 31, 2010, 7:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I noticed on seatguru that the pitch on the A380 seas is 6 inches less (55 v. 61) as opposed to the 777, but the seat is wider. Anyone care to comment on this? In searching flights for Aug. it appears that only the 772, 773 and A380 are options to JFK and the A330 to EWR. Not seeing any CDG-NYC with the 744.
Old May 31, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K/AF Plat/Marriott Titanium/Hertz PC (who isn't?)/National Exec Elite/CFA Signature
NEV3 vs NEV2: YMMV

Hi all,

Well I quite frankly disagree with all who consider the differences between NEV2 and NEV3 to be small.
To me, they are two completely different seats (even though NEV3 has been cleverly disguised to look like its older brother NEV2 so that noone would complain about product inconsistency).
Playing the NEV-lottery every time I book a 777 J trip is actually one of the major gripes I have against AF, as I find the consequences of my winning of losing to be enormous. To put it simply: I manage to get decent sleep on NEV3, while I find myself completely unable to do anything more than lightly doze off on NEV2, as I have to change position every 10 minutes.

I am sure all the geometric analyses are right in saying than the seats are similar. But the fact remains that NEV3 is much more comfortable to sleep on (indeed, the lowered armrest allows for virtually any position) and even to seat on (the paddings are completely different and the footstop makes a difference as soon as you want to be in a "lounge" position, not just when fully flat).

The only downside of NEV3 is the traytable, which wobbles a lot more than that of NEV2 (which is not to say that that of NEV2 is in any way sturdy, sturdy table is a P-feature on AF ;-)).

Every time I board an AF 777, I am anxious to see which version of NEV I am going to be seating on, and I try and avoid 332s and 344s and their guaranteed NEV2 at all cost.

So there you go, a different approach to the NEV2 vs NEV3 debate, and yet another demonstration that your mileage may vary.

(btw, just fly the 388, amazing bird)

Last edited by Gate45; Sep 12, 2022 at 9:36 am
Old May 31, 2010, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gate45
Hi all,

Well I quite frankly disagree with all who consider the differences between NEV2 and NEV3 to be small.
To me, they are two completely different seats (even though NEV3 has been cleverly disguised to look like its older brother NEV2 so that noone would complain about product inconsistency).
Playing the NEV-lottery every time I book a 777 J trip is actually one of the major gripes I have against AF, as I find the consequences of my winning of loosing to be enormous. To put it simply: I manage to get decent sleep on NEV3, while I find myself completely unable to do anything more than lightly doze off on NEV2, as I have to change position every 10 minutes.

I am sure all the geometric analyses are right in saying than the seats are similar. But the fact remains that NEV3 is much more comfortable to sleep on (indeed, the lowered armrest allows for virtually any position) and even to seat on (the paddings are completely different and the footstop makes a difference as soon as you want to be in a "lounge" position, not just when fully flat).

The only downside of NEV3 is the traytable, which wobbles a lot more than that of NEV2 (which is not to say that that of NEV2 is in any way sturdy, sturdy table is a P-feature on AF ;-)).

Every time I board an AF 777, I am anxious to see which version of NEV I am going to be seating on, and I try and avoid 332s and 344s and their guaranteed NEV2 at all cost.

So there you go, a different approach to the NEV2 vs NEV3 debate, and yet another demonstration that your mileage may vary.

Hi Gate45, I will go one step further in your direction. Besides the dropping armrest (which few people who say they have used NEV3 appear to mention), NEV3 have a slightly more comfortable feel. Eventhough this is a subjective judgement, they seem to have twisted a couple of degrees here and there, as well as padding, to make it feel a bit more comfortable, including in lie-flat mode.
But this remain a lie-flat, uncomfortable for your back when sleeping and in pair or trio seating, as opposed to the flat solo seats proposed by many airlines. I usually travel with my wife (business or leisure) so pair seating is OK, but I do not wish to be the middle guy in the center seats.
Old May 31, 2010, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by efis123
Any seat recommendations for the A380 business class? I'm flying next month and I'm in the front biz cabin right now - 61H I think it is.
The front cabin is smaller so it's a good choice

Originally Posted by brunos
IMO the major improvement of the last version is that one armrest moves down when lowering the seat, making the seat wider (around the thigh area) for sleeping. As I have back problems, I sleep on the side in teh foetus position. So with the new NEV I get more space to move my knees up and get less back pains in the morning.
Originally Posted by Gate45
But the fact remains that NEV3 is much more comfortable to sleep on (indeed, the lowered armrest allows for virtually any position) and even to seat on (the paddings are completely different and the footstop makes a difference as soon as you want to be in a "lounge" position, not just when fully flat).
Hi Gate45, I will go one step further in your direction. Besides the dropping armrest (which few people who say they have used NEV3 appear to mention), NEV3 have a slightly more comfortable feel. Eventhough this is a subjective judgement, they seem to have twisted a couple of degrees here and there, as well as padding, to make it feel a bit more comfortable, including in lie-flat mode.
Hey guys, you are right, I forgot the dropping armrest on the NEV3 seat which is a great improvement because it gives you more space.
Old May 31, 2010, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL GM
I, too, find the NEV3 seat noticeably more comfortable than NEV2.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:36 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K/AF Plat/Marriott Titanium/Hertz PC (who isn't?)/National Exec Elite/CFA Signature
But this remain a lie-flat, uncomfortable for your back when sleeping and in pair or trio seating, as opposed to the flat solo seats proposed by many airlines. I usually travel with my wife (business or leisure) so pair seating is OK, but I do not wish to be the middle guy in the center seats.
Hi brunos,

You are right, this is all very subjective but it sure feels real to me (but then isn't that the definition of subjective ;-)?)
At any rate, my point was really a NEV2 vs NEV3 one. all I am saying is that I find NEV3 to be largely superior to NEV2. But 100% agreed, that does not make it a good J seat.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

So, NEV3 on the A380 and some but not all 777's? Anyone flown the AF 380 and care to chime in on the seat pitch issue (apparently 6 inches less pitch on the 380 v. 777).
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
So, NEV3 on the A380 and some but not all 777's? Anyone flown the AF 380 and care to chime in on the seat pitch issue (apparently 6 inches less pitch on the 380 v. 777).
I have never flown AF A380, but I would bet big money that seatguru is doubly wrong. It is not 55, but 60 or 61, and it is not a flat bed, but a lie-flat seat. A 55" bed is comic ("lit de 1,375m").
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
"Pitch" is a non-issue, as the seats are self-contained hard-shell pods. I'm sure the pod itself isn't 6 inches shorter on the A380--that would make it a whole different seat than any of the existing NEV models.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.