FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - VVIP Level
Thread: VVIP Level
View Single Post
Old Jun 12, 2002, 5:50 pm
LewDog

Programs: AA 1mm; SPG Gold
I saw a great piece on the Discovery Channel (I think) recently about private jets, and how travel on commercial airlines by "super-celebrities" and the super-rich is now virtually nonexistant due to airport hassles, security and privacy issues, etc. Private jets are much more private, convenient and luxurious - if you can afford it.

This being the case, it would seem that AA and the other majors need to refine and perhaps expand upon their offerings to their premium clientele. And I think they are - little things, like elite security lines, premium lounges, and special services meet 'n' greets do a good job of ensuring the return business of the affluent and "sub-super celebrities." One thing that I LOVE is being welcomed and addressed by name by FAs, often even when I am just on a 45-minute Eagle flight.

Bottom line, people want to FEEL like a VIP whether they are or aren't. I think AA's done a good job of identifying their best customers, and I think it's the little things, moreso than the standard stuff (like upgrades, special offers, bonuses, etc.) that would make a true "VIP" want to fly AA versus another commercial airline or their own private jet.

[Edited to add:

P.S. First celebrity airport sighting? Alan King, JFK, when I was 8 years old. ]

[This message has been edited by LewDog (edited 06-12-2002).]