FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The definitive guide to US VDB vouchers.
View Single Post
Old May 10, 2010, 2:16 pm
cblaisd
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I used a $150 one today, although it took 45 minutes on the phone.

I had selected a one-way itin on the website, three segments (two codeshares on United metal, and one US metal), for $146

I then call reservations and the very nice man who worked very slowly initially told me that the cost of this itin would be $460.

I said (more politely than this): "Huh?????"

He kept putting me on hold and twice returned from hold to tell me that it was not possible to fare the itin at $146.

I asked him to please consult with a supervisor. Finally, he comes back and says "My supervisor did something, I'm not sure what, but now your cost is $146).

Then, another ten minutes of typing and typing and typing to actually ticket the itin.

This matches my experience with the only other time I've booked a US ticket recently; the phone CSRs couldn't see anything like the fare that the website was quoting (that one finally had to be escalated to Executive Services).

Maybe this rigamarole is the way that US ensures a high breakage rate on these Take Flight vouchers, but I surely would think that the costs in staff time are exorbitant compared to a simple system where you could use vouchers on the website!