FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flashlight in a carry-on bag?
View Single Post
Old Apr 24, 2010, 4:22 pm
TSORon

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Ronnie, part of the problem is that TSA apparatchiks can and often do, make up rules and regulations on the spot in order to retaliate against passengers knowing their rights and standing up for them. Especially, from passengers who TSA hirelings deem as not being respectful enough.
AM, I have no doubt that this occasionally happens. Humans can be ... disappointing ... at times. And there are some out there that just are not mature enough to handle the limited authority that government service gives them. It happens.

Wholesale terminations of the folks with these issues is not the answer. Any cooperate management course will tell you that. Teaching them how to deal without making them ineffectual at their duties is the problem, and TSA (in my experience) is not so good at this. I have always had issues with the lack of management training for its frontline supervisors. The training class they DO get teaches them how to run a checkpoint, but not how to supervise people.

The thing that I realize that you and others here don’t, is that makes the TSA no different than just about every other government agency and more than 90% of the civilian companies around the planet. Lots of training on how to get the job done, but little to no training for dealing with their subordinates. Sad, but its what we have.