FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Heads up: Best Western Rewards® MasterCard® changes effective 4/15/2010
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:38 am
gaken01

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Hilton Honors, Choice Privileges, BW Gold Crown
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Unless best western is the only hotel chain you stay at, you are better off with another rewards card. Hilton gives you 3 points per $ charged and 9 points per $ charged at hilton family hotels and 6 points per $ charged at drug stores, grocery stores, wireless phone service and gas stations.

And with Hilton if you charge $20K a year you get gold status at Hilton and $40K gets you diamond.
Oh I couldn't agree more; my HH AmExp is in fact my primary credit card. To paraphrase Kohoutek, this whole issue is not that much skin off my nose. I just used the BW MC on a selective, opportunistic basis -- as I do occassionally stay in a Best Western. And likewise, it is just kind of the principal of the thing. Barclays (the issuing bank) is, IMO, scamming us out of points we are entitled to by retroactively applying the change in policy to transactions done prior to April 15th.

I don't really care enough about it to pursue it beyond one e-mail to customer service, but Barclays will have lost a customer. That's something all card issuers might consider as they devalue their reward programs.