Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Best Western | Best Western Rewards
Reload this Page >

Heads up: Best Western Rewards® MasterCard® changes effective 4/15/2010

Old Mar 18, 10, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Kohoutek just received a love letter from Barclays:

"Effective April 15, 2010, when you use your Best Western Rewards MasterCard you will earn:

5 points for every $1 spent on Best Western purchases.
1 point for every $1 spent on purchases made everywhere else..."

"When a primary cardholder spends more than $6,000 in new net retail purchases in a calendar year, the Primary Cardholder will receive a one (1) tier Elite status upgrade withn the Best Western Rewards program."

Kohoutek comments:

5 points/$1 for BW purchases is an increase from the current 10 pts/$3.

1 point/$1 is a 50% devaluation in earning points for every day spending, as it is currently 2 points/$1

I'll only be using this card in the future for Best Western purchases, if that.
Old Mar 19, 10, 2:30 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Hilton Honors, Choice Privileges, BW Gold Crown
Thumbs down

I received the same letter. As best as I can tell, BW is pretty much maintaining their redemption levels as is, so this is generally another "devaluation" tactic to the detriment of program members. Oh well, it doesnt' overall impact me that much, as BW is generally a third or fourth choice as a place to stay when traveling, and my BW MasterCard was one I ususally only pulled out when I could score a large number of points on some big purchase. I only have about enough points at present to get a free night in one of the better BW properties I've been interested in near the Smoky Mountains. After that, I may just put my BW MasterCard permanently in the dresser drawer.
Old Apr 2, 10, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
About the only thing the best western card is good for is the sign up bonus. I signed up for the promo they had and made a small purchase and that was it.

Hiltons AM EX is free and a lot better deal. If you stay at a BW I found the southwest visa with the double points for staying at a BW gives you more rewards than the BW master card.
Old Apr 20, 10, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

What a revolting development this is

My first statement after the notification of changes was after 4/15/10, and non-BW charges in the period before 4/15 only earned 1 point per dollar.

Of course I'm going to complain. My interpretation of the terms is that the changes are effective 4/15/10, going forward.
Old Apr 20, 10, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kohoutek View Post
My first statement after the notification of changes was after 4/15/10, and non-BW charges in the period before 4/15 only earned 1 point per dollar.

Of course I'm going to complain. My interpretation of the terms is that the changes are effective 4/15/10, going forward.
Same thing happened to me, which really ticks me off because I placed a rather sizable charge on the card just to get the 2 points per dollar one last time. Please report back as to whether your complaint is successful or not.
Old Apr 20, 10, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaken01 View Post
Same thing happened to me, which really ticks me off because I placed a rather sizable charge on the card just to get the 2 points per dollar one last time. Please report back as to whether your complaint is successful or not.
I was very tempted to run through some charges before the cut-off, just to bump up my BW point balance, but didn't, thankfully. My non-BW charges were less than $100.

I'm waiting on a response from my email #2. Didn't get no satisfaction from the first.

I don't have much skin to lose in this particular predicament, but, on principle alone, I'm going to bat for me, and for all of us. If I strike out, I'll take my lumps and move on (only charging for BW stays, IF I need the points).

jamesterhoh, does one garner BW points, if that is one's goal, using Hilton AX or the Southwest Visa?

4/21/10 edit: Struck out again with the response to my email #2. The response was from a different "E-mail Relationship Manager". Just for the hell of it, I sent in a reply calling them out again, and basically asking them to "man up" wit da "screw up" (not the exact wording, just the very idea). We'll see how it goes.
4/21/10 edit: Received a fairly quick response to email #3. This time they're taking at look at the issue. May take up to 30 days for a resolution.

Last edited by Kohoutek; Apr 21, 10 at 11:08 am
Old Apr 20, 10, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless best western is the only hotel chain you stay at, you are better off with another rewards card. Hilton gives you 3 points per $ charged and 9 points per $ charged at hilton family hotels and 6 points per $ charged at drug stores, grocery stores, wireless phone service and gas stations.

And with Hilton if you charge $20K a year you get gold status at Hilton and $40K gets you diamond.
Old Apr 21, 10, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
Unless best western is the only hotel chain you stay at, you are better off with another rewards card. Hilton gives you 3 points per $ charged and 9 points per $ charged at hilton family hotels and 6 points per $ charged at drug stores, grocery stores, wireless phone service and gas stations.

And with Hilton if you charge $20K a year you get gold status at Hilton and $40K gets you diamond.
Oh I couldn't agree more; my HH AmExp is in fact my primary credit card. To paraphrase Kohoutek, this whole issue is not that much skin off my nose. I just used the BW MC on a selective, opportunistic basis -- as I do occassionally stay in a Best Western. And likewise, it is just kind of the principal of the thing. Barclays (the issuing bank) is, IMO, scamming us out of points we are entitled to by retroactively applying the change in policy to transactions done prior to April 15th.

I don't really care enough about it to pursue it beyond one e-mail to customer service, but Barclays will have lost a customer. That's something all card issuers might consider as they devalue their reward programs.
Old Apr 21, 10, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use the hilton Am Ex card as my primary card, especially since I do a lot of business shopping at Costco and if it's a SW partner I use their visa on those purchase. Only drawback is some places I shop at don't accept Am Ex. And with Hilton their gold and diamond status are worth something at least. With BW, if you go for airline credit instead of points, there is no benefit at all in being premium.

Like I said the only benefit to that card is the initial point bonus they give you. I have figured out with the double points southwest gives you on their visa bor BW being a partner, you are better off using the SW visa on a BW stay than the BW visa, and in fact I think the Hilton Am Ex card points would be of more value than the BW points would be on a BW stay.

BW is probably the one to blame instead of Barclays for the devalution. I have a spirit mastercard they issue (I use it just once a month so I can be a free member of the $9 fare club or on the rare occassion I fly on Spirit) and have had no problems at all with that card.

Oh I couldn't agree more; my HH AmExp is in fact my primary credit card. To paraphrase Kohoutek, this whole issue is not that much skin off my nose. I just used the BW MC on a selective, opportunistic basis -- as I do occassionally stay in a Best Western. And likewise, it is just kind of the principal of the thing. Barclays (the issuing bank) is, IMO, scamming us out of points we are entitled to by retroactively applying the change in policy to transactions done prior to April 15th.

I don't really care enough about it to pursue it beyond one e-mail to customer service, but Barclays will have lost a customer. That's something all card issuers might consider as they devalue their reward programs.
Old Apr 7, 12, 8:36 pm

Programs: MM Altitude
Is it still 5 points per dollar spent at a Best Western with the BW Mastercard? Mine is issued in Canada.
Old Apr 8, 12, 8:14 am

Programs: PC Plat, HHonors Silver

And likewise, it is just kind of the principal of the thing. Barclays (the issuing bank) is, IMO, scamming us out of points we are entitled to by retroactively applying the change in policy to transactions done prior to April 15th.

At the least, they should allow you the bonus points for purchases before you received the email. Otherwise through April 15th or your statement close would be nice.

Though they could argue that the reason they did it quickly was that folks wanted the increase in points for BW spends. In that case, I'd say they should phase in the increase early and phase out the bonuses for other spend later. But, that would be in an ideal world where there was real concern for the customer. :-)
Old Apr 13, 12, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CreditMadeEZ View Post
At the least, they should allow you the bonus points for purchases before you received the email. Otherwise through April 15th or your statement close would be nice.

Though they could argue that the reason they did it quickly was that folks wanted the increase in points for BW spends. In that case, I'd say they should phase in the increase early and phase out the bonuses for other spend later. But, that would be in an ideal world where there was real concern for the customer. :-)
Please note, that was April 15 two years ago (2010). The only part of this thread that was new (at the time you replied) was the post just before yours, asking about the Canadian version of the card.
Old Apr 13, 12, 1:12 pm

Programs: PC Plat, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Please note, that was April 15 two years ago (2010). The only part of this thread that was new (at the time you replied) was the post just before yours, asking about the Canadian version of the card.
Yes, I realized that right after I submitted it. I would have added an apology, but that would have just compounded the issue. Just like you and I have now done again. :-)

If your only reason for this was to chastise me for not catching the date beforehand, a PM would have worked. I almost PM'd you this...

Did you have an issue with what I said or just the tardiness of the comment?
Old Apr 14, 12, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CreditMadeEZ View Post
Did you have an issue with what I said or just the tardiness of the comment?
Well, the tardniness of the comment, and plus I was trying to put the focus back on the one new question (about the Canadian version of the card).

Unfortuantely, I (living in the US) know nothing about the Canadian verison of the card, so can't help with that question, except by pointing out that it is the one open question that needs answering in this thread.
Old May 7, 12, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Rushfan1 View Post
Is it still 5 points per dollar spent at a Best Western with the BW Mastercard? Mine is issued in Canada.
The Best Western Rewards Mastercard is issued by MBNA in Canada ( at least for now). I may be wrong but I don't think it ever earned 5 points per dollar spent at Best Western.

At this time it appears to earn 1.5 points per dollar spent anywhere;

https://www.applyonlinenow.com/CACCa...=ch77&lc=en_CA

Search this Thread
Search Engine: