FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A rave about Japan
View Single Post
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:07 pm
phaleesy

Absolutely agree with you, JudgeJ. Can't wait to go back too.

The Japanese are so welcoming, helpful and polite that the language barrier isn't much of a hindrance. I've sat at sushi bars on my own, thinking it'd be a quick 30-45 mins meal but ended up as an all night affair because everyone wanted to have a chat. One of the restaurant owners who had a Japanese-English digital dictionary became the translator between all the other customers and myself.

Once when I asked the couple what they were eating (was I rude?!), they gave that piece of sushi to me instead and asked me to try it. Present, they said. I was so embarrassed because I did not know how to thank them properly in Japanese. I should buy them something back but they left shortly after.

The Japanese are very tolerant and patient with photographers too. Possibly because there are many of them around as well? I managed to chat to several of the 'retirees' (?) and got some tips from them.

The first time I went to Japan was in Oct 07. I came to this forum asking for advice. I have been back several times since. After my recent trip (just came back to the UK last week), I have decided I need to start learning some conversational Japanese. It is ridiculous (and very rude of me!) when the Japanese are making an effort to converse to me in English and I cannot even reciprocate with some standard Japanese phrases!

I usually drop by Tokyo in transit or fly to Tokyo via redemption miles. I tried looking for paid fares from LHR but they seem so expensive.