FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:59 am
LessO2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hh1
Whilst I am sure that everyone is understanding at a time like this, and realise that safety must be the priority, this is irrops - and GS not faring any better than anyone else.

Seems if it is possible to fly TATL to FUM and MAD, there could be a case made for airlines to charter some buses, or take some of the capacity that Eurostar is laying on to get people from LHR/BRU/FRA to the southern airports, and use some of the capacity now sitting idle to fly pax from MAD/FCU. just a thought?

If the volcano erupts for a year as it did last time, it may end up being the only option for TATL
You don't think Iberia, or other European carriers aren't putting people on buses (or rail) already? (I know MAD is Madrid, but I no idea where "FUM" is).

I would imagine that today, or for the next week, you couldn't simply charter a bus on a whim. I bet there are a lot of people flying into those airports already and seats are filled to capacity.

I have no idea what the logistics would be, but I'm not sure carriers can simply create a new route to Madrid or Rome. They say the ash is moving south and east....that would affect Madrid and Rome quickly.