FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BMI standby policies
View Single Post
Old Apr 12, 2010, 3:18 pm
kt74

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by littlevoices
If I book the 16:00 will they let me change it to the 11:10 on a standby basis?
BD (along with most British airlines?) don't really do standy - again you'd have to pay your £50 fee to get on the earlier flight. You may be able to sweet talk an agent in putting you on an earlier flight - but since you're going to be running to get the earlier flight I doubt you'd have the time...
bmi has been known to bend the rules on this one (admittedly less so out of LHR, but I've managed some flexibility out of MAN, GLA, EDI and AMS in this respect - being a BD*G helps), but it's not an "official" answer, or an explicit benefit or "right", so to speak, to standby on an earlier flight, and it therefore very much depends on the mood of the agent

Personally, I would book on the 16:00, and then (if you are early) ask nicely, first at premium check in, and then at the lounge, and then at the gate, if you could be put onto an earlier flight*. However, be polite, and don't be surprised or p1s5ed off if the answer is a firm "no" - just smile and try elsewhere. Worst case, you just end up lounge hopping between the Star and bmi domestic lounges for a few hours

Or, if it really matters to you, then follow the advice above, and either buy a fully flexible, or two non-changeable tickets. Depends how important it is for you to get to DUB at a certain time

*Edited to add: obviously this doesn't work if you have checked in baggage... (although the AMS check in staff did not tell me this while they were happily issuing a boarding pass for an earlier flight for me...)