BMI standby policies

Old Apr 12, 10, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
BMI standby policies

I'm trying to arrange a connection at Heathrow to Dublin and find that BMI has a huge gap between 11am and 4pm on flights to Dublin. I can get to LHR for 10:15 but that's awfully tight for the 11:10am BMI flight. I'll have to get all the way from T3 through immigration to T1 and through security and the green mile in 55 minutes.

In the past I took an Aer Lingus flight rather than have such a long connection. With IRIS I made it to the terminal in well under 55 minutes and was cursing the loss of those status miles but I wouldn't want to rely on it every time.

So my question is, if I book the 11:10 flight and miss it will BMI put me on the 16:00? If I book the 16:00 will they let me change it to the 11:10 on a standby basis?

The connection is on two separate tickets.
Old Apr 12, 10, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
much will depend on the fare rules of the ticket you purchase, some are changeable for free, others for a fee and some not at all. A friend ended up at the airport 5 hours before her LHR-GLA flight (meetings finished early and missed anticipated traffic jam on the M25) although there were 2 flights before she had to sit and wait
Old Apr 12, 10, 1:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Lifetime, BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
These are the 'official' answers... perhaps you can persuade someone differently, but I doubt it;
if I book the 11:10 flight and miss it will BMI put me on the 16:00?
No, they'll charge you for a new ticket (unless its a flexible ticket in which case no charge). If they are feeling very kindly (which is quite feasible) they may agree to do the change for a fee... but no promises, the change fees are now 50 too, check your ticketing rules.

If I book the 16:00 will they let me change it to the 11:10 on a standby basis?
BD (along with most British airlines?) don't really do standy - again you'd have to pay your 50 fee to get on the earlier flight. You may be able to sweet talk an agent in putting you on an earlier flight - but since you're going to be running to get the earlier flight I doubt you'd have the time...

So; you are really stuck with the long connection unless you put yourself on one ticket - or get a flexible BD ticket on the 11am flight.

Aer Linguis might not be such a bad idea if the times work out better?
Old Apr 12, 10, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by littlevoices View Post
So; you are really stuck with the long connection unless you put yourself on one ticket - or get a flexible BD ticket on the 11am flight.
Well there's not much point in getting a flexible ticket. They're so expensive it would be cheaper to just buy both restricted tickets and throw away whichever one I don't use.
Old Apr 12, 10, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by littlevoices View Post
If I book the 16:00 will they let me change it to the 11:10 on a standby basis?
BD (along with most British airlines?) don't really do standy - again you'd have to pay your 50 fee to get on the earlier flight. You may be able to sweet talk an agent in putting you on an earlier flight - but since you're going to be running to get the earlier flight I doubt you'd have the time...
bmi has been known to bend the rules on this one (admittedly less so out of LHR, but I've managed some flexibility out of MAN, GLA, EDI and AMS in this respect - being a BD*G helps), but it's not an "official" answer, or an explicit benefit or "right", so to speak, to standby on an earlier flight, and it therefore very much depends on the mood of the agent

Personally, I would book on the 16:00, and then (if you are early) ask nicely, first at premium check in, and then at the lounge, and then at the gate, if you could be put onto an earlier flight*. However, be polite, and don't be surprised or p1s5ed off if the answer is a firm "no" - just smile and try elsewhere. Worst case, you just end up lounge hopping between the Star and bmi domestic lounges for a few hours

Or, if it really matters to you, then follow the advice above, and either buy a fully flexible, or two non-changeable tickets. Depends how important it is for you to get to DUB at a certain time

*Edited to add: obviously this doesn't work if you have checked in baggage... (although the AMS check in staff did not tell me this while they were happily issuing a boarding pass for an earlier flight for me...)
Old Apr 13, 10, 1:10 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Lifetime, BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by zkzkz View Post
Well there's not much point in getting a flexible ticket. They're so expensive it would be cheaper to just buy both restricted tickets and throw away whichever one I don't use.
But you won't get as many miles, a sandwich on the plane or a seat at the front then
Old Apr 14, 10, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
I've had flexibility out of DUB - turned up for the wrong plane (mine had already departed - doh) and they put me and SO on the last flight..

Also on Christmas eve just gone my SO managed to get on an earlier flight (booked with c+m) to DUB from LHR. (Maybe that was Christmas spirit).

We were BD*S at the time which helped in the ex-DUB issue..

Search this Thread