FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tumi warranty not lifetime!
View Single Post
Old Apr 8, 2010, 7:24 pm
Walt-FL

Programs: Delta GM, AF, (Lufthansa), Hilton
Originally Posted by tfar
So just that it's made in China doesn't mean its inferior to American made or inferior to anything at all. The Chinese are able to produce OEM products at state-of-the-art quality levels if the quality control is done properly. Doing QC properly and manufacturing properly is after all a matter of how much you are willing to pay and of the attitude you have towards your products. Tumi wants to maximize profit and doesn't have the right attitude towards their products anymore as we can see by slipping QC and warranty.

Is it possible to produce stuff of equal quality in America with American labor and materials. Sure. Redoxx and Tom Bihn are doing it but they are niche brands and Tom Bihn doesn't even offer the kind of warranty that BR offers while the prices and quality are about comparable. And between Redoxx and Valoroso I'd say Valoroso is even better built.

Till

I totally agree, Made in China does not necessarily indicate inferior quality any more. Still, I feel more comfortable when I know that my stuff wasn't produced by a 12 year old in a 14 hour shift, for a buck a day. And that CNC coolant fluid was properly disposed, and wasn't dumped in the next river.

After all, these bags are lifestyle products, so there has to be some sort of discernibility. From an economic point of view Costco probably beats anything. I know guys at work who have been using Costo or WalMart stuff for 5+years. The price range Tumi approaches now with their Townhouse-series competes with handmade custom or semi-custom luggage like Papworth (UK), Ghurka, Goldpfeil etc.

I personally would have never complained about Tumi, if the stuff wouldn't break, or would get fixed without fuss.