FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tumi warranty not lifetime!
View Single Post
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:15 pm
tfar

Originally Posted by Walt-FL
The problem I see with Tumi today is that they are trying to sell Made in China-stuff for American quality at European prices. If I drop 600 bucks on a bag it better lasts, and if it doesn't, I want it repaired at no cost. Within reason, of course.
This is very true. I don't agree with their price-warranty-quality relation, either. However, made in China is not necessarily a bad quality indicator. Look at BR. It is made in China. The quality is top-notch, so is the warranty. Look at Andiamo Valoroso. The quality was the best of all the three big brands and so was the warranty, not only no-matter-what life-time but they even paid shipping and provided an exchange while yours was repaired. Only Tourbach has this kind of warranty now. And if I'm not mistaken they are made in China.

So just that it's made in China doesn't mean its inferior to American made or inferior to anything at all. The Chinese are able to produce OEM products at state-of-the-art quality levels if the quality control is done properly. Doing QC properly and manufacturing properly is after all a matter of how much you are willing to pay and of the attitude you have towards your products. Tumi wants to maximize profit and doesn't have the right attitude towards their products anymore as we can see by slipping QC and warranty.

Is it possible to produce stuff of equal quality in America with American labor and materials. Sure. Redoxx and Tom Bihn are doing it but they are niche brands and Tom Bihn doesn't even offer the kind of warranty that BR offers while the prices and quality are about comparable. And between Redoxx and Valoroso I'd say Valoroso is even better built.

Till