FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SEA-JFK-RDU-MEM-SEA on DL (some pics)
View Single Post
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:45 pm
timboy219

Programs: HH Gold
SEA-JFK-RDU-MEM-SEA on DL (some pics)

Disclaimer: This is my first TR, so please be kind. Thanks, and enjoy!

Part I--April 3rd:

I arrived curbside at SEA at approx. 4:30 in the am. Once inside, I proceeded to to DL ticketing area, and walked up to a kiosk to check in. When selecting seats, I saw 18D (exit aisle) open, so I immediately snagged it, along with 8D (exit window) for my second leg to RDU. After printing out my boarding passes, I walked to the concourse A checkpoint, which was not too much of a wait (5 minutes or so). After security, I got caught in the middle of a group of 40 or so teenagers on their way to ATL, presumably connecting onto another destination. After waiting for the satellite train, I got to gate S7 just before 5. I sat for awhile and took advantage of the free wifi, while waiting for the SkyClub to open up at 5:30...Some more time passed, and at around 5:25, I proceeded over to the entrance to the SkyClub, which was just about two gates over. Precisely at 5:30, the attendant unlocked the sliding doors, and I proceeded inside. After buying a daypass, I was the only one in the club, besides the attendant and another gentleman heading to MSP, I believe. I grabbed a bagel, cream cheese, mini-muffins and a glass of apple juice, and sat down at the area overlooking the tarmac. After sampling several of the foods, and two glasses of apple juice and a can of V8, I realized it was 5:55, and started packing up to leave. On the way out, I grabbed a couple magazines, and the attendant wished me a pleasant flight. ^

DL 30/ SEA-JFK
Scheduled--06:30-14:53 (5:23)
Actual--06:30-15:17 (5:47)
737-800 (winglets), Seat 18D (exit)

- gate S7 signage

Once I got to the gate, boarding had started for F passengers and Medallion members. I was in zone 3, and was the first from that zone to board. Once on the aircraft, I realized there would be the standard dropdown LCD screens instead of AVOD. Finding space for my carry-on was no problem, and I settled into 18D. The man in 18F showed up about 3 minutes later, and before I knew it, the doors were closing, and the middle was open!

- legroom shot

Taxi-out time was about 10 minutes, and at approx. 6:46, we were ready for takeoff. Takeoff was to the south, before turning left to the east. After hitting 10,000 ft, I reached under the seat to get my laptop. I wanted to test out GoGo for the first time. Sure enough, it was available, and I used a promo code to get $4 off my session.

- GoGo on FlightAware, 35,000 ft over Montana

Once connected, the speed was fine, although I believe I might have been the only person onboard using it. Drinks were offered, along with snacks, and food for purchase. I chose my failsafe, Coke and Biscoff. To my surprise, I recieved the whole can. ^ I proceeded to Tweet and IM various friends just for the novelty of being able to talk from 35,000 ft up. Time really seemed to pass by rather quickly, and before I knew it, we were about an hour from landing, and the second drink service had started. Once again, I opted for Coke and Biscoff, but alas, didn't get a full can, but did get two packs of Biscoff at least. Suddenly, for some reason over northern PA, we went into a circle of some sort, which delayed us a few minutes. We started the decent over northern NJ, and took a southeastern turn into Long Island, before making a left turn, going northeast, and finally making an approach into JFK from the north, landing late at 3:07. Taxi-in time was about 11 minutes, and we deplaned through gate 20, in terminal 2.

- empty exit row, while deplaning.

Layover at JFK:

Once off the 73H, I wondered around for a few minutes, since it was my first time in the T2/3 DL area, and second time at JFK. General impression was not very nice, but i've seen worse (eg: PHL concourses B/C/D/E). After a few minutes, I found a sign for the SkyClub, and followed a couple other signs, to a staicase proceeding up to it. Once inside I was greeted by a very nice woman (didn't catch her name), and asked if I could use one of the shower rooms. She walked me back, and I took a much-needed refreshing shower, and shaved. After I was all finished, I took a look at the two snack tables, and found the offerings somewhat dire, but reasonable. I grabbed a chocolate cookie, two packs of Biscoff, a packet of parmesan cheese, and stopped by the bar for a Coke with lime. I found a spot in the 'Quiet Area' (which had a man talking rather loudly on his Blackberry ), and settled down. After realizing the wifi reception wasn't very good, I decided to wait until I was finished with my drink and snacks before moving. That lasted around 15 minutes, and I moved over to the main area, near the snacks, where there were several open seats available. I picked up some more snacks, and got another Coke w/ lime from the bar, and settled down once again, this time for a good hour or so. I checked emails, surfed the web, etc. during this time.

- my "lunch"

- JFK T2 SkyClub

At around 5:45, I decided to head back to the cattle heard before boarding started at 6. I went to gate 23, and found out my flight was moved to 25. So when I got to 25, I found out the inbound aircraft hasn't arrived yet, and I was told to standby for more info.

- the regional jet section reminded me of a Greyhound station...

DL 6547/ JFK-RDU (operated by Comair)
Scheduled--18:30-20:56 (2:26)
Actual--18:52-21:22 (2:30)
CRJ-100, seat 8D (exit)

Boarding began about 20 minutes late, and we walked through a jetway, down to a series of mini 'gates' down on the tarmac. I dropped my carry-on on the gate checked luggage cart, and walked up the stairs to the CRJ. Once onboard, I was greeted by Eric, a very friendly FA, based in CVG. I found my way to 8D, and settled in.

- legroom shot

After boarding was done, and 8C was still empty, I started to get excited, so I grabbed my laptop bag from the overhead and put it under 7C. Sure enough, the door was closed, and we were to be on our way. Of course, there was some fog in the NYC area, which prevented us from pushing back right away.

While taxiing out, I spotted this one...
- Qantas 744, i'm guessing bound for SYD via LAX?

We sat on the tarmac for almost an hour, before finally departing the runway at 8:05. We took off to the southwest, before making a left turn to the southeast, and a few minutes later, making a right turn to the southwest. Once airbourne, I took out my iTouch, and listened to music, while Eric started the drink/snack service. When he came around to me, I decided I was tired of Coke, and opted for cranapple juice instead, and he gave me two more packs of Biscoff. ^

- cranapple juice and Biscoff's

After looking out the window for a good while, the captain announced the initial decent into RDU, and I stowed my iPod, and threw away my trash. We landed at 9:13, only 17 minutes behind scheduled arrival time. I guess thats the one good thing about DL scheduling extra time for a flight in/out of JFK. We taxied into gate C10, and I was out on the jetway about 5 minutes later.

I had to wait around for a few extra minutes for my gate-checked bag, and then I proceeded over to the ticketing area where I was greeted by my mother. After being awake and travelling for 15 hours at that point, I was pleased to be able to relax on the hour long car ride back.

Ratings (DL30/6547):
IFE-7(lost points for no AVOD)/4
Service-9/9
Comfort-9/7
Avg.-8.3/6.7 (out of 10)

Thanks for reading! Part II (RDU-MEM-SEA) will most likely be up on Monday (April 12th).