FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tumi warranty not lifetime!
View Single Post
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:46 pm
Walt-FL

Programs: Delta GM, AF, (Lufthansa), Hilton
It is true. 5 years now, even on the expensive stuff.

I used to be a Tumi-addict, down to the wallet. Still have my 1st Gen. ballistic nylon roll-board, my Alpha expandable, and my old garment bag. Bought all of them in Vegas in `94, or shortly after. Back then Tumi did advertise lifetime warranty, but all items still work to this day, without problems. The Alpha is wearing out, but I am not going to blame that on the company, after 2 million miles and over 15 years of heavy use.

With newer Tumi-stuff I have had mediocre experiences. Handle on a pilot case broke off after 2 years and slight use. They replaced it after I pre-paid for shipping. Now it's starting to break again on the top-flap, but is clearly out of warranty. So I am stuck with a broken $ 550 bag, that I have used may be 20 times over 6 years. Unfortunately it is a damage that can't be repaired by a shoemaker, because there are Tumi-hinges involved.

I had seams come apart on a newer large garment bag. They refused to take it back for repair in the store unless I pre-paid, because it was out of warranty. I had a shoemaker sew it up. My wife bought a purse in 2007 that didn't hold up either. We didn't even try to have it repaired; it is a fashion item after all, and once you pay for S&H twice over, it's easier to get a new purse.

The problem I see with Tumi today is that they are trying to sell Made in China-stuff for American quality at European prices. If I drop 600 bucks on a bag it better lasts, and if it doesn't, I want it repaired at no cost. Within reason, of course.

It's really sad that all my old Tumi stuff, that has seen the heaviest use, is still going strong, while the new, expensive stuff breaks, and they give you crap about repairs. Once my 1st generation Tumi stuff finally goes, I'll look for a different brand, probably Briggs&Riley. It's just too much money under these circumstances.

Last edited by Walt-FL; Apr 7, 2010 at 5:06 pm