FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Luxury Hotels of Hawaii
View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:50 am
vuittonsofstyle

Originally Posted by trojanman
The primary reason I bring up the nickel and dime issue is because I recently finished reading Isadore Sharp's book. In it, he dedicates a long explanation of the value of staying at Four Seasons properties. Specifically, he mentions they go out of their way NOT to nickel and dime guests.

While Hualalai provided more complimentary services than, say, The Kahala, there are a few specific issues that rubbed me the wrong way:

1. $5 room service delivery fee. ~$75 for a fruit bowl, which is about 400% more than market value, so I am already paying a premium for room service...why do I have to pay $5 more to get it delivered? This is just asinine and a complete money grab to me.

2. Internet fees. I've said it time and time again...why can Motel 6 provide free internet for a $40 room, but I have to pay $15 for internet in a $1000+ room. RIDICULOUS!!!

3. Valet parking. It happened to be included in our room package, but $20 to park a car when there are tens of thousands of empty acres of land surrounding the resort just doesn't feel right. As a side note and possible consolation, the resort does offer free self parking about 100 yards away.
I agree. I have read Issy Sharp's 'The Story of a Business Philosophy', so wonder, too, why I am charged for internet access at every single FS hotel I stay in. Given how many guests complain about this particular aspect, I suspect that FS will be forced into ditching its charges in the not too distant future.