FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Not switching seats with someone
View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:08 am
mre5765
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by nrgiii
I think you're fine. As a rule, I'll trade an E+ window or aisle for another E+ window or aisle or an E+ middle for another E+ middle to help someone out. I'd even give up the bulkhead to do so if they were nice.

However trading windows/aisles for middles doesn't work. Anyone who flies with any frequency would know better than to even ask.

Also your comment about trading for 18E was spot-on. If they wanted to sit together that badly, then it is they that should be inconvenienced, not you.

nrg
Originally Posted by TMOliver
I only trade for "better", unless we're talking about a parent/small child adjoining seats situation (and even then I'll carefully ponder what other seating is available).

Selfish? Maybe. Self interest? Certainly. Rational? Overwhelmingly.
For a 2 hour flight or less I'd give up a coach middle to let a kid sit with a guardian. For a long haul, forget it. There's a reason why we have elite status and it is for just this situation: stay out of middle seats on mid to long hauls. Never have flown a middle seat coach in long haul, and I'm pretty sure I never will. I was in two middle seat on mid cons last year due to irrops and I've vowed never again.