FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I Don't Want To Be Ordered To Leave You People
Old Apr 1, 2001, 8:52 am
Shareholder
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
And we would certainly not want to lose the various airline employees we have posting. As others, I too find it a healthy dialogue, which permits both sides to better understand the worldview of the other. I met the person in question last weekend at Catman's Do3, and she was a most charming individual. However, I have not read her regular posts to determine if she crossed the line in the types of information she posted. I can understand any company being concerned when an employee speaks in a public forum, which is what FlyerTalk is. Most have very strict "No Comment" rules which limit any form of statement to appropriate "spokespersons". This is unfortunate, but in organizations with thousands of employees, quite understandable, and I believe an appropriate restriction that does not violates ons' Charter or First Amendment rights.

That said, a certain level of maturity should be reflected by the employee posting to show the understand both the limits of what proprietary/inisde information they can convey acceptably outside the company, and their demour in how they appear as an unofficial spokesperson of the company.

I sometimes wonder, however, if AC does have someone monitor the Forum. Quite honestly, I doubt it. It is just that kind of company that has shown in the past by its ongoing customer service problems [and the way it deals with too many of them] that it accepts outside criticism with much reluctance. I may be wrong. In any case, I do feel it is valuable for companies to monitor these boards, and use them as focus groups -- albeit not totally representative samples of their customers, they do reflect a fairly important sector -- in the way Starwood and Hilton have done.

Let's hope Mssrs Milton [at AC] Duschesne [at Seroplan] can be mature about it, and recognize the positive contributions of those AC's employees who participate, or just lurk, on FlyerTalk and similar boards. And the fine ambassadors they have proven to be.