FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tumi warranty not lifetime!
View Single Post
Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:55 am
swanscn

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
My how things have changed

I guess I have been lucky, but then again it has been years since I have needed a Tumi warranty repair. I own many pieces of Tumi luggage even a briefcase. I have been hard on Luggage so many years ago I decided on Tumi, and for me that was a good decision. No longer was I needing to replace bags every year or less. (please note this was prior to many of the options of today being available and at the time the bags while expensive were not outrageous). I have broken things on different bags and they were always repaired at no expense to me (including shipping), but things have changed. Their were two times that come to mind when I shipped luggage bag for repair that probably would not happen today. In one case I forgot to mention another problem with the briefcase (zipper was broke and inside key holder broke not mentioned). I was expecting that the keyholder would not be fixed as was the luggage store that was handling the return for me (BTW, they even lent me a Tumi briefcase while mine was in being repaired). When the briefcase came back both item were repaired and the tracker tag had been added, I found this to be excellent service. On the second occasion I asked the luggage store for a modification to the garment bag. What I wanted was a hanger placed on the side that opened as well as the top of the bag. They included a note to Tumi and this was also done at no charge. I do not think that would be done today.
While I am happy with Tumi luggage, I do not know that I would buy it today based on their pricing. But, lucky for me I have plenty to spare. The only Tumi bag I regret getting was the Garment bag with wheels, too heavy and too bulky and must be checked. But, it was a gift from the wife and she thought it was a good idea. Carried it a few times but switched to roller bags so she never knew.