FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - VA main cabin select, are all foods and drinks really free? same day upgrade cheaper?
Old Mar 20, 2010, 5:08 pm
odom4president

VA main cabin select, are all foods and drinks really free? same day upgrade cheaper?

I recently flew a VA flight SFO-LAX. It was my first time I booked a ticket for flight same day at airport. I paid $155 total for main cabin select (first time) as it was the cheapest and only flight with seats available.
I got a couple questions,

1.) Is it true that if I booked a main cabin ticket 3-4 weeks in advance for the $49 advertised fare,, I can come to check in station on flight date, and do a upgrade to main cabin select for only $25? [thus saving me $80 minus the taxes and fees]

2.) At the VA station when I purchased my ticket for $155, the lady mentioned I would get "unlimited drinks and food on us"
I noticed that snacks (about 6 choices) and drinks (economy served drinks that are usually free) were indeed free. But for alcoholic beverages, I would have to pay extra because there was dollar figure next to each drink on the on-screen flight menu. Therefore, are all alcoholic beverages really free? If so, why do they display dollars amounts on the video screen menu?
And are the on screen menu the only options available or is the food selection in the hard copy booklet in front pouch also available?

thanks