FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Year-end 2009 gift from SPG: Limited-edition luggage tags
Old Mar 13, 2010, 4:06 pm
TravelGuy1965

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Thanks for the insight - so it really does depend on your 'level' of platinum.

Well, you convinced me. Without the nice year end gifts that all Platinum members use to get and be able to use there isn't much benefit for me to 'stive' to just make Platinum any longer. The half price award two years back was a nice incentive, then it went down a little with the free night or $75, and now some luggage tags that I have ample amounts of from other programs.

Summary for me, the best perk of suite upgrades occur most frequently to higher level platinums so it lowers the incentive to people trying to just make platinum status to get the perk. Just making Platinum put me at about 1 for 20 which isn't much value to me.

Originally Posted by sbtinme
Well, there's your answer. If a hotel has 6 suites and there are 37 Platinum guests checking in this evening, that presents a challenge. The SPG system recommends to each hotel daily a listing of suggested upgrade prioritizations, by guest. So, a guest who's been Platinum for 11 years, who stays about 100 nights per year in the network and spent more than $25,000 with *wood hotels in the last 12 months probably has a better shot at a meaningful suite upgrade.

Airlines have been doing this now for decades. Prioritization based on invididual contribution.
Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
Originally Posted by
Maybe I'm just unlucky or maybe there are different platinum tiers.

I barely make it to platinum each year and when I do its usually due to the double stay promotions or point specials....