Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Year-end 2009 gift from SPG: Limited-edition luggage tags

Year-end 2009 gift from SPG: Limited-edition luggage tags

Old Mar 7, 10, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, DL Plt, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott AMB/LTT, HH Gld, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by myperks View Post
if you counted properly, you mentioned only 4 cities you've traveled to that had SPG properties... (can't count Manila and Penang where there weren't any to start with)...
There used to be a Sheraton and a Westin in Manila.
Old Mar 7, 10, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by merrickdb View Post
There used to be a Sheraton and a Westin in Manila.
again, going by what the member said in his/her original post...
Old Mar 7, 10, 10:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Exclamation Moderator WARNING

OK ladies and gentlemen,

This thread was driven off the rails. A number of off-topic posts and responses to them have been deleted. Please return to the topic at hand and play by the rules.

AZ
A SPG Forum Moderator
Old Mar 8, 10, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Orange44 View Post
I didn't leave because of the luggage tags. Just felt my business wasn't appreciated by *wood. The SPG program has been slipping IMHO. (I've been a 12 yr member and PLT 5 of the last 6 years)

As for the suite upgrades, what suite upgrades? I never get them and I refuse to grovel to try and get them.

I am glad some of you are happy with *wood. I am not so I've moved to another chain (for now). Hopefully SPG gets back on track and I'llcome back. Free Internet is a step in the right direction.
i don't doubt you are leaving because of the luggage tags....you must be very unlucky for not getting suite upgrades because i get them all the time....& i don't have to grovel for them....spg was kind enough to send us something as a year end gift....i never received anything from hilton, & if the other chains sent something then i'm not aware of that....

Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965 View Post
Maybe I'm just unlucky or maybe there are different platinum tiers.

But I have only received a suite once in my 3 years of Platinum (if I recall correctly). The one I recall was in London and quite a surprize since I never received one before.

I barely make it to platinum each year and when I do its usually due to the double stay promotions or point specials that convince me to move my stays to SPG. So maybe they have tiers and my level of platinum doesn't get the special treatment 'higher level' platinums do.

Its great for you and if it was that consistent across the program many more people may value spg higher.

Oh, the luggage tags = what a bummer compared to the last two years.
i completely agree that the luggage tags are a bummer compared to the last couple of years....but then again, given the state of the economy, i wasn't really expecting anything this year....again, you seem to have a lot of bad luck when it comes to suite upgrades....i get them all the time....
Old Mar 8, 10, 7:08 am

Programs: SPG-PLT, DL-PLT, AA-GLD (1 MM)
saad You definitely are lucky if you are regularly getting suite upgrades. I think I might have averaged 1 suite upgarde per year over the last 6 years.

Hence my earlier point that the difference between PLT and GLD are negligible for me. I'll get no free Internet (new benefit as of 3/1) and no 500 point amenity....but other than that, IN MY EXPERIENCES, there is little other difference between GLD & PLT in the *wood program.

Suite upgrades are a defined benefit in the program, but not not a realized benefit for me.

The lack of a year-end gift (other than the $0.89 luggage tags) is to me further devaluaing of being PLT in *wood. I can get free breakfast, suite upgrades, and free Internet with Hyatt.
Old Mar 8, 10, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Orange44 View Post
saad You definitely are lucky if you are regularly getting suite upgrades. I think I might have averaged 1 suite upgarde per year over the last 6 years.

Hence my earlier point that the difference between PLT and GLD are negligible for me. I'll get no free Internet (new benefit as of 3/1) and no 500 point amenity....but other than that, IN MY EXPERIENCES, there is little other difference between GLD & PLT in the *wood program.

Suite upgrades are a defined benefit in the program, but not not a realized benefit for me.

The lack of a year-end gift (other than the $0.89 luggage tags) is to me further devaluaing of being PLT in *wood. I can get free breakfast, suite upgrades, and free Internet with Hyatt.
1 suite upgrade per year is definitely bad luck....

if you feel hyatt is a better fit for you then who am i to argue????to each their own....

but once again, i feel spg was not obligated to give us anything this year....the tags are in no way a substitute for the gifts of the past couple of years, but they are definitely appreciated in my opinion....
Old Mar 13, 10, 4:06 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Thanks for the insight - so it really does depend on your 'level' of platinum.

Well, you convinced me. Without the nice year end gifts that all Platinum members use to get and be able to use there isn't much benefit for me to 'stive' to just make Platinum any longer. The half price award two years back was a nice incentive, then it went down a little with the free night or $75, and now some luggage tags that I have ample amounts of from other programs.

Summary for me, the best perk of suite upgrades occur most frequently to higher level platinums so it lowers the incentive to people trying to just make platinum status to get the perk. Just making Platinum put me at about 1 for 20 which isn't much value to me.

Originally Posted by sbtinme View Post
Well, there's your answer. If a hotel has 6 suites and there are 37 Platinum guests checking in this evening, that presents a challenge. The SPG system recommends to each hotel daily a listing of suggested upgrade prioritizations, by guest. So, a guest who's been Platinum for 11 years, who stays about 100 nights per year in the network and spent more than $25,000 with *wood hotels in the last 12 months probably has a better shot at a meaningful suite upgrade.

Airlines have been doing this now for decades. Prioritization based on invididual contribution.
Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965 View Post
Originally Posted by
Maybe I'm just unlucky or maybe there are different platinum tiers.

I barely make it to platinum each year and when I do its usually due to the double stay promotions or point specials....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: